[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Eesti - Caitlín - UniLang

Eesti - Caitlín

Moderator: hashi

Aisling
Language Forum Moderator

Eesti - Caitlín

Postby Aisling » 2014-01-06, 17:55

Tere!

This is my personal thread. I'm trying to learn Estonian. I need an explanation to use which case with which verb.

See on minu isiklik teema. Ma püüan õppida eesti keelt. (Sorry, because I couldn't translate the whole sentence myself)

Suur aitäh!
Last edited by Aisling on 2014-08-24, 19:56, edited 2 times in total.
Native:  (tr), Fluent:  (da)  (el), Advanced:  (en)  (fr)  (de)  (es)  (sv), Intermediate:  (ga)  (bg)  (no)

ainurakne

Re: Eesti - Eftychia

Postby ainurakne » 2014-01-07, 9:11

Eftychia wrote:I need an explanation to use which case with which verb.
Sorry, I don't understand what do you mean by that. :?
Are you talking about some specific cases or some specific verbs?
You can usually use pretty much any cases with any verbs, it all depends on what you want to say.

If you are talking about declenatable verb forms which are based on so called 'ma-infinitive', then these are "-ma" (illative), "-mas" (inessive), "-mast" (elative), "-maks" (translative), "-mata" (abessive) and "-tama" (passive "-ma" - only used in combination with the verb "pidama" if it means 'must/have to'). And you can attach these suffixes to any verbs.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Aisling
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Eesti - Eibhlín

Postby Aisling » 2014-05-30, 17:26

I wanted to mean this:
Which case suffix should be added to the noun which a specific verb precedes or follows?

* Ma tahan õppida eesti keelt.

And one more question:
What books do you recommend me for studying Estonian?
Native:  (tr), Fluent:  (da)  (el), Advanced:  (en)  (fr)  (de)  (es)  (sv), Intermediate:  (ga)  (bg)  (no)

Thon

Postby Thon » 2014-05-30, 22:42

What's the noun you are referring to in that sentence? The only nouns I noticed are "Eesti" and "keelt" and they are in the right cases as far as I know.

Ma tahan õppida eesti keelt.

Sounds correct.

I need an explanation to use which case with which verb.

Here's my Estonian translation:
Ma vajan seletust, millist käänet kasutada millise verbiga.

Don't take my word for it, however, as I'm not a native speaker.

Soovin sulle oma õppele edu! A little tip:

I'd suggest that you not memorize the Latin names of the cases. They're pretty much useless outside linguistics circles.

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2014-05-31, 7:12

Eibhlín wrote:Ma tahan õppida eesti keelt.
The verb "õppima" usually requires the object to be in either partitive or genitive case:
"Õpin keelt(part.)." - kind of like present continuous (I am studying a language.)
"Õpin keele(gen.) selgeks." - an achievement / finished action (I will learn to speak the language.)

Partitve and genitive cases don't have specific case suffixes, they are quite irregular compared to other cases.

You can also use other verbs with "õppima", then you use the illative form of the verb (ma-infinitive):
"Õpin rääkima." - I learn / am learning / will learn to speak.

Thon wrote:I'd suggest that you not memorize the Latin names of the cases. They're pretty much useless outside linguistics circles.
Indeed, when it comes to linguistic terms, then an average Estonian uses only native words.
Speaking of which, verb is either "tegusõna" (if you are talking about a specific type of word) or "öeldis" (if you are talking about a member of sentence).
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Virankannos

Postby Virankannos » 2014-05-31, 9:19

If you mean case government, it's hard to make an exhaustive list of all verbs and the cases/adpositions they require. Here is a list I found. Unfortunately, there are no English translations.

Aisling
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Eesti - Caitlín

Postby Aisling » 2014-08-24, 20:02

I bought Teach Yourself Complete Estonian and Colloquial Estonian three days ago! ;) I'm now waiting for those books to come. I'm also using Memrise. I'll be only using Memrise until the books come. And what books do you prefer for a beginner, besides TY and Colloquial?

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Eesti - Caitlín

Postby hashi » 2014-08-26, 21:21

Caitlín wrote:I bought Teach Yourself Complete Estonian and Colloquial Estonian three days ago! ;) I'm now waiting for those books to come. I'm also using Memrise. I'll be only using Memrise until the books come. And what books do you prefer for a beginner, besides TY and Colloquial?
Are there books beside TY and Colloquial? I riffled through TY Estonian in a book shop once and decided against buying it. I haven't had much luck with TY books, so tend to be very critical of them. I did however buy Colloquial Estonian a few years back, and as far as I've gotten in it, it's a fairly good resource.

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”