[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Learning the sounds of the alphabet - UniLang

Learning the sounds of the alphabet

readysetgo

Learning the sounds of the alphabet

Postby readysetgo » 2010-11-05, 0:24

Hi, i decided I'd start with the alphabet to start my polish learning...
My question is the letter that looks like a "l" with a line through the middle, i hear it pronounced and it sounds like a "w" sound like in the English word "world" is this correct?
Also the letter "a" with the "tail (sorry don't know its correct name)" when i hear it, it almost sounds like it has a attached "n" sound...but not quite....I'm using a computer program to hear the words (not sure if I'm aloud to mention it) and I'm struggling to grasp the sounds, which is frustrating because I'm trying real hard.
Any help appreciated, thanks, from Casey.

silmeth

Re: Learning the sounds of the alphabet

Postby silmeth » 2010-11-05, 0:52

The "ł" is, you heard correctly, [w] sound (just the same as in English "way").

The "ą" and "ę" were in old times nasal vowels (nasal o (NOT a, sic!) and nasal e, similar to French ones), today however they are more often pronounced like [on], [om], [o] and [en], [em], [e].

Like "bąk" sounds similar to [bonk] (actually [boŋk], with "ng" sound), "trąba" sounds like [tromba] and "przyjął" sounds like [pʃɨjow] (pshee-yow).

Also, about other "strange" orthographic features: "rz" and "ż" both sound the same way, as [ʒ] (or [ʃ] when unvoiced), in "Englished" phonetical notation "zh"; and "ó" sounds just like "u".

readysetgo

Postby readysetgo » 2010-11-05, 1:50

silmeth wrote:The "ł" is, you heard correctly, [w] sound (just the same as in English "way").

The "ą" and "ę" were in old times nasal vowels (nasal o (NOT a, sic!) and nasal e, similar to French ones), today however they are more often pronounced like [on], [om], [o] and [en], [em], [e].

Like "bąk" sounds similar to [bonk] (actually [boŋk], with "ng" sound), "trąba" sounds like [tromba] and "przyjął" sounds like [pʃɨjow] (pshee-yow).

Also, about other "strange" orthographic features: "rz" and "ż" both sound the same way, as [ʒ] (or [ʃ] when unvoiced), in "Englished" phonetical notation "zh"; and "ó" sounds just like "u".

Hello, thank you for taking the time to explain :)
This makes sense, i am very appreciative. From Casey.

Cosi

Postby Cosi » 2010-11-05, 9:44

This "tail" is called ogonek and, yes, it means "a tail" :)
That (oblique!) line is called stroke. As silmeth said:
"ł" is pronounced like "w" in "way",
"ó" (and "u") like "oo" ("cool"),
"ż" and "rz" like "zh" or French "j" in "jamais",
"dż" like "g" in "George",
"ch" exactly in the same way as "h",
"ć", "ś", "ź" (notice the acute diacritic mark instead of dot!) are softened "c", "s", "z". They sound a bit as if you were pronouncing [ch], [sh], [zh] mixed with "i", very softly.
And now don't bother with "ą" and "ę" - just imagine you try to say "on"/"en" with stuffy nose ;)
Remember: unlike in English, Polish letters are usually pronounced in the same way (there are a few exceptions), so "ó"/"u" in "ósmy", "mój", "kura" or "duży" will always sound like [oo].

readysetgo

Postby readysetgo » 2010-11-06, 1:19

Cosi wrote:This "tail" is called ogonek and, yes, it means "a tail" :)
That (oblique!) line is called stroke. As silmeth said:
"ł" is pronounced like "w" in "way",
"ó" (and "u") like "oo" ("cool"),
"ż" and "rz" like "zh" or French "j" in "jamais",
"dż" like "g" in "George",
"ch" exactly in the same way as "h",
"ć", "ś", "ź" (notice the acute diacritic mark instead of dot!) are softened "c", "s", "z". They sound a bit as if you were pronouncing [ch], [sh], [zh] mixed with "i", very softly.
And now don't bother with "ą" and "ę" - just imagine you try to say "on"/"en" with stuffy nose ;)
Remember: unlike in English, Polish letters are usually pronounced in the same way (there are a few exceptions), so "ó"/"u" in "ósmy", "mój", "kura" or "duży" will always sound like [oo].

Hey, thank you, i'm really glad i found this forum!!

Qrczak

Postby Qrczak » 2010-11-13, 21:35

silmeth wrote:The "ą" and "ę" were in old times nasal vowels (nasal o (NOT a, sic!) and nasal e, similar to French ones), today however they are more often pronounced like [on], [om], [o] and [en], [em], [e].

Before fricatives they are still usually nasal, and pronouncing them with [m], [n] or [w] in these cases would sound strangely.

At the end of a word ą is nasal, ę is generally pronounced as [e].

silmeth wrote:Also, about other "strange" orthographic features: "rz" and "ż" both sound the same way, as [ʒ] (or [ʃ] when unvoiced), in "Englished" phonetical notation "zh"; and "ó" sounds just like "u".

[ʃ], [ʒ], [tʃ], [dʒ] are acceptable approximations of sz, ż/rz, cz, dż. But since they are contrasted with ś, ź, ć, dź, i.e. [ɕ], [ʑ], [t͡ɕ], [d͡ʑ], they are more properly [ʂ], [ʐ], [t͡ʂ], [d͡ʐ].

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2010-11-18, 14:27

Before fricatives they are still usually nasal, and pronouncing them with [m], [n] or [w] in these cases would sound strangely.

No, there they are oral vowels with nasal semivowel: [ɔɰ̃] [ɛɰ̃].

[ʃ], [ʒ], [tʃ], [dʒ] are acceptable approximations of sz, ż/rz, cz, dż. But since they are contrasted with ś, ź, ć, dź, i.e. [ɕ], [ʑ], [t͡ɕ], [d͡ʑ], they are more properly [ʂ], [ʐ], [t͡ʂ], [d͡ʐ].

Nope. Polish postalveolars are often described as retroflexes but they are usually not those.
Qroo₃₁ kaa₄ cro₂ kraa₃ kaa₄ qo₄₁ cra₄₁ ka₄ qoo₄₂ krá₄₂.

--
Językoznawstwo, językotwórstwo. Po polsku.

pittmirg

Postby pittmirg » 2010-11-19, 15:45

But what are retroflexes?
Vîntŭ îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focŭ îl păzea, dă pămînt ferea.
Și la moartea-i, cădea-va o stea

SunnyGirl

Postby SunnyGirl » 2013-02-10, 0:05

You can hear all sounds of the Polish alphabet here http://polish.study-time.org/alphabet.htm

Return to “Polish (Polski)”