[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
How do Indonesian people refer to the Muslim world? - UniLang

How do Indonesian people refer to the Muslim world?

tarkus44

How do Indonesian people refer to the Muslim world?

Postby tarkus44 » 2009-07-27, 2:12

Hello,

I am a photographer writing a book about my travels through the Muslim world. The title of the book will be "House of Peace" which is an English translation for the Arabic term dar es-salaam which is one way Arab Muslims refer to the Muslim world. I was wondering if the same term (house or abode of peace) is used by Indonesian Muslims? If so, can you provide this in Bahasa Indonesia? If not, can you provide the words that are used to refer to the Muslim World and also their literal English translations?

Thank you

Jeff Amrhein

0stsee

Re: How do Indonesian people refer to the Muslim world?

Postby 0stsee » 2009-08-04, 23:12

Hello Jeff!

I'm not really sure what you'd like to know, hope this helps nevertheless.

In Indonesian we usually call a Muslim (person) Orang Islam or (Orang) Muslim. (Orang) Islam seems to be more prevalent in daily use.

As for the Muslim World, I can't really think of a specific word, but the closest one is probably Umat Islam. Umat seems to be an Arabic loanword which means something like a congregation.

A literal translation of "House of Peace" would be Rumah Kedamaian, but it's not a current term to refer to the Muslim World.

Salam,

Ostsee
Ini tandatanganku.

vema123

Re: How do Indonesian people refer to the Muslim world?

Postby vema123 » 2009-12-13, 8:39

tarkus44 wrote:Hello,

I am a photographer writing a book about my travels through the Muslim world. The title of the book will be "House of Peace" which is an English translation for the Arabic term dar es-salaam which is one way Arab Muslims refer to the Muslim world. I was wondering if the same term (house or abode of peace) is used by Indonesian Muslims? If so, can you provide this in Bahasa Indonesia? If not, can you provide the words that are used to refer to the Muslim World and also their literal English translations?

Thank you

Jeff Amrhein

No, I've never heard such a term in Indonesian. In Indonesian "House of Peace' is translated as "Rumah Kedamaian", however I personally never hear anthing about this.

You can use the words "Dunia Muslim" which literally mean the world of Moslems.

Hope this helps :)
Learning Bahasa Indonesia

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”