[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
Thailand Malaysian - UniLang

Thailand Malaysian

Rémy LeBeau

Thailand Malaysian

Postby Rémy LeBeau » 2012-06-02, 10:55

Well, I can't say I ever saw myself posting in this forum when I first joined Unilang!

In addition to Thai, I also want to start learning Malay, but specifically the dialect(s) of Malay spoken in South Thailand (Pattani, Narathiwat, Yala).

Now, I understand that there is generally quite a big divide between the written Indonesian/Malaysian language and the spoken forms pretty much everywhere, but that this is more pronounced in South Thailand.

What I'm interested in knowing is whether or not the Malays in S. Thailand would understand "standard" (Kuala Lumpur?) Malay, whether they use it as a written language (like Swiss Germans with German), and how exactly one should go about learning Malay as spoken in S. Thailand.

Also, it seems like there are a lot more "Indonesian" books on the market than there are "Malaysian" books. Would it make a difference (considering my eventual goal of speaking S. Thailand Malaysian) if I started learning using "Indonesian" books?

Any advice is most welcome!
ਧਰਤੀ 'ਤੇ ਲਹੂ ਵੱਸਿਆ । 
ਕ਼ਬਰਾਂ ਪਈਆਂ ਚੋਣ
 । ਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਦੀਆਂ ਸ਼ਹਿਜ਼ਾਦੀਆਂ 
। ਅੱਜ ਵਿੱਚ ਮਜ਼ਾਰਾਂ ਰੋਣ ।
dhartī 'tē lahū vassiā | qabarāṅ paīāṅ ćoṇ | prīt dīāṅ śahizādīāṅ | ajj vićć mazārāṅ roṇ |

DannyAlex

Re: Thailand Malaysian

Postby DannyAlex » 2012-06-06, 11:44

Firstly, I could tell you that South Thailand Malay is somehow similar to Kelantanese Malay (South Thailand Malay-speaking region is located in Thailand; while the state of Kelantan, where the Kelantanese dialect is spoken is located in Malaysia).

Based from my experience, South Thailand people who live near the Malaysia-Thailand border could understand standard Malay language and it is the same to the people who live in South Thailand region. But I don't know if it's same to the people who live far from the borderline.

In South Thailand, mostly, the written form of Malay Language is Standard Malay, but it is in Jawi Script (which uses Arabic alphabets) while the standard Malay here in Malaysia uses Roman alphabets. But nowadays I do think they in South Thailand could also write in Roman scripts.

In order to learn South Thailand Malay, I advise you to learn also Kelantanese dialect, because it might be hard for you to find the South Thailand Malay anywhere, harder than to find Malay books.

If you refer to Indonesian books to guide you until you manage to learn South Thailand Malay, I can guarantee you that it will be a very long journey to go. Because there are words in South Thailand Malay itself which are different from Standard Malay, and to compare to Indonesian, you will find the gap is wider. Here's an example:

English: plastic bag
Standard Indonesian: kantong plastik
Standard Malay: beg plastik
Kelantanese dialect/ South Thailand Malay: supik (soo-peek)

and the pronounciation of some words are different if we refer to Standard Malay. Another example:

English: back
Standard Malay: belakang
Kelantanese dialect/ South Thailand Malay: blakey (blah-kaey) -actually there is no written form of this.

But this is if you really want to learn deeper about South Thailand Malay. Standard Malay could be acceptable, depending on the group of people you speak to.

P/S: I am not from Kelantan nor South Thailand. I am just a Malaysian from Kuala Lumpur who have friends from South Thailand. :)

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”