[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
"... Oyun Havaları" - UniLang

"... Oyun Havaları"

Moderator: Aisling

synni1

"... Oyun Havaları"

Postby synni1 » 2014-06-09, 16:48

In Turkish traditional music (esp. "enstrümantal" :cool: ), there is often this expression which seems a bit hard to translate word-by-word.

e. g.

Saz ile oyun havaları (saz)

Keman ile oyun havaları (violin)

"oyun" actually means "game" or "play" (in theater), but it makes no sense, nor does "havalar" (pl. of hava = weather).
You see, I have done my homework, but yet the whole expression makes no sense to me.
Can you help? :)
Last edited by synni1 on 2014-06-10, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ektoras

Re: "... Oyun Havaları"

Postby Ektoras » 2014-06-10, 9:57

Hello,
Oyun havası is a type of music which makes you want to dance. People usually belly-dance to it.

"Oyun" is a reference to dancing. Indeed, in a wedding, you'd have people who come to you and insist: "Haydi, kalk da oyna!".
What they're saying is of course not Get up and play, but rather get up and dance. :-]

Saz/keman ile oyun havası = Belly-dance music accompanied by a luth/violin.

synni1

Postby synni1 » 2014-06-10, 15:53

Thank you!

Could you also give me the literal translation of "oyun havası"? A literal translation, albeit silly, is always much better to memorize (at least for me, from experience)

What they're saying is of course not Get up and play, but rather get up and dance. :-]

LOL :D
So it proves: I'm not so spoilt as many others :lol: I would only decently think of a play in theater :ohwell:

Anyways, I do like your sense of humor.

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-06-10, 18:51

Airs of game!

Let's pretend that, by game, we understand playing. And "playing" is a reference to dancing.

"Air" is a reference to "environment", or perhaps "the spirit"!

Overall, a sensible literal-ish translation could perhaps be: "Atmosphere fit for dancing"

synni1

Postby synni1 » 2014-06-11, 21:16

Your final one was the one I was looking for. Thanks again!

nadi

Postby nadi » 2015-01-01, 21:40

Oyun havası means "dance tune" or "melody for dancing". In many parts of Central Turkey "oyun" means "dance" and "hava" means "tune" or "melody".
When you compare the two forms of Turkish traditional music, you will understand the term "oyun havası" better. 1. Uzun Hava 2.Oyun Havası

Uzun Hava is the melancholic, slow type of music. On the contrary, Oyun Havası is lively, dynamic dance music.

An example for Uzun Hava: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVk6Nljv5Cs

An example for Oyun Havası: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69sy47a5_g

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”