[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
biblia magyarul (Passiv Voice) - UniLang

biblia magyarul (Passiv Voice)

Moderator: '''

james_clearwater

biblia magyarul (Passiv Voice)

Postby james_clearwater » 2012-06-25, 22:31

As far as I know the Hungarian used in the Bible is an old archaic Hungarian.
Unfortunately I wasn´t able to find a page on the internet where this bible hungarian grammar is explained.

The modern Hungarian got rid off the passiv voice
but is is still kept in the bible.
I wonder if anyone here could tell something about the extincted Passiv Voice.

By the way:
adaték is Passiv Voice,
Would someone be so kind and tell me the conjugation scheme for this?
adatni should be the infinitive.
I couldn´t find out what adaték is....

james_clearwater

Re: biblia magyarul (Passiv Voice)

Postby james_clearwater » 2012-07-15, 2:06

nobody?

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2012-07-16, 0:01

I don't think I could tell you a whole lot about this subject other than the fact that using these forms sounds extremely formal at best. (with some exceptions - some verbs used in this form of the passive voice in certain contexts - of course, but I can't think of any at the moment)

"Adaték" means "was given" (it could be either a first person singular or a third person singular form but the former seems unlikely). "Megadaték (in formal Modern Hungarian you'd have "megadatott" but I wouldn't be that shocked if this somewhat more archaic form was given way to instead) neki a lehetőség, hogy..." "He was given the opportunity to..." (lit. Was given to him the opportunity, that...)

adatni - to be given (adni - to give)
adatok - I am given (which to me doesn't make a lot of sense since this is not something I would say about a human being and even if I were to do that I wouldn't use this somewhat archaic form)
adatsz - you are given (keep in mind that we're talking about passivization of direct objects, ie. this can only mean you are given TO someone or something and not under any circumstances you are given SOMETHING or SOMEONE; I can't however think of a single context where I could conceivably use this form without being subjected to ridicule; which actually means there is a certain set of contexts where it COULD be used for a desired facetious effect - comedy)
adatik - he/she/it is given
adatunk
adattok
adatnak
(Again, I would mostly only ever use the third person singular.)

adattam/adaték (with the latter being archaic but even so perhaps more in use, however marginal the extent of that may be, than the "modern" form which is highly unusual whereas I wouldn't be that surprised to see the archaic form in an older text or one that tries to look and feel like one)
adattál
adatott/adaték
adattunk
adattatok
adattak

For the future you just use the auxiliary "fog" (I'm reluctant to write "fogni" since that sounds extremely alien to my ears since the infinitive suffix in this case is always attached to the main verb, eg. he/she/it will help - segíteNI fog)

adatni fogok
adatni fogsz
adatni fog
adatni fogunk
adatni fogtok
adatni fognak

But I cannot stress enough how out of use most, if not all of these verbal forms are.

Hope this helped. :)

james_clearwater

Postby james_clearwater » 2012-07-16, 23:24

wow thank you very much!
Very kind of you to write all the forms.
Kösz szépen barátom.

anyway I wonder if there are any other verbs with that -ék ending for the first or third person singular.
I have never heard of this ending.
Do you know some other verbs that exist with "that ék ending"?

I have a lot of grammar books but none of them tells about this "ék form".......strange

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2012-07-17, 15:43

Well theoretically they can all take it but that doesn't make it very common. It's old school stuff.

eg. csináltaték - was done (from csinálni) or kiteteték - was put outside (from kitenni, 3ps sg. kitesz). Again, archaic, you wouldn't hear these forms used, ever.

james_clearwater

Postby james_clearwater » 2012-07-17, 23:29

ok.
Thanks a lot buddy :)

Naihonn

Postby Naihonn » 2013-01-24, 19:05

Now I wonder if words like játék, érték, bizonyíték, ... are in fact the same thing, but now used as nouns.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2013-01-26, 2:59

I can't see any connection. I think -ék is simply a non-productive (in terms of present day word formation) noun-forming suffix.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-05-03, 19:56

Here in Transylvania there are a few ( very few ) old people from rural areas sometimes using it.

I heard even my grandma once using it.

I love Archaic Hungarian and I think it should be encouraged :D It sounds cool.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”