[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Pronunciation of [l] - UniLang

Pronunciation of [l]

Moderator: '''

james_clearwater

Pronunciation of [l]

Postby james_clearwater » 2012-07-15, 2:15

I often hear people pronunciating the l very darkly at the end of some words.
I hope everybody knows what a "dark l" and what a "light l" is.
Normally every L is a light l.
But in words like "kell" or the suffix "el" it is a dark one.
I would say it is nearly a british semivowel "w" (the way the brits say milk = miok).
Hope you know what I mean.

And sometimes the L isn´t pronounced at all.
In words like "átölel" for example.
Native spaeker pronounce it: "átö´el"

Do am I mishearing all the tiome something or is this true???

Kenny

Re: Pronunciation of [l]

Postby Kenny » 2012-07-16, 0:10

I can't speak for everyone but I have yet to meet a fellow Hungarian who does either of those things.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-07-16, 1:28

I've heard this too. In the recording on this page, some of the words sound like they have a 'w' instead of an 'l', like "sehol" and "hold".
     Native:  (en-US)
Advanced:  (eu)
 Learning:  (la)

james_clearwater

Postby james_clearwater » 2012-07-17, 23:31

Well when I was in Budapest the expression "most már mennem kell" was very common.

The "L" sound in kell sounded like the "L" in well.
curious thing....

Ynas Midgard

Postby Ynas Midgard » 2012-07-25, 12:31

Hello! First post on the forum :)

The L of "hold" barely noticeably differs from Ls in other positions; in fact there is generally no difference at all. I can imagine that in fast, colloquial speech the L might be pronounced more in the back than usual (due to the previous O-sound), but it will certainly not become velar, like in English.

In the other word, "kell", the L actually shares every characteristic feature of the L in "kel", except length. That is, both are clear-Ls.

As for the linked audio file, it sounds unlike the way I speak (I'm from Szolnok, Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok megye, though my pronunciation is virtually no different to the standard).

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-04-27, 13:38

Here in Transylvania many Hungarians don't pronounce the "l" at the end of the words.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”