[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Lithuanian verbs - UniLang

Lithuanian verbs

Strigo

Lithuanian verbs

Postby Strigo » 2005-09-03, 5:37

I don't understand Lithuanian verb conjugation pretty much. I'm studying present simple.

Do I have to learn the first singular by heart to make all the others? How do I know if the third person singular takes -a -i or -o...?
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

vicza

Re: Lithuanian verbs

Postby vicza » 2005-09-03, 6:47

Strigo wrote:Do I have to learn the first singular by heart to make all the others?

Not 1st, 3rd.

Aš:
dirbu
turiu
sakau

Tu:
dirbi
turi
sakai

Jis etc:
dirba
turi
sako

Mes:
dirbame
turime
sakome

Jūs:
dirbate
turite
sakote

Liisi

Postby Liisi » 2005-09-03, 9:04

I'll tell you how I was taught Lithuanian verbs.

From the very beginning we learnt all the verbs by heart in groups of three: infinitive, 3rd person present tense, 3rd person past tense. For example:

dirbti, dirba, dirbo
turėti, turi, turėjo
skaityti, skaito, skaitė

It was (and is!) a lot of work, but it's worth it, because then you'll learn not only the rest of the present/past tense conjugation, but also the advanced verb grammar quite easily. In other words, these three are the basic forms you will need later on for constructing more complex things.

Now whenever I encounter a new verb infinitive I have to conjugate, at first I try to guess how it goes and then I check it in the dictionary. I think most dictionaries have these three forms for each verb, but if your's doesn't, you can check them at www.lkz.lt .
Last edited by Liisi on 2005-09-03, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
I appreciate corrections to my mistakes in any language.

Liisi

Postby Liisi » 2005-09-03, 9:49

One more hint. To make memorizing easier, you can try whole sentences instead of single verbs. For example, I learned the proverb "Kas skaito, rašo - duonos neprašo" ("Who reads and writes, doesn't ask for bread") and the rhyming helped me to remember all these verbs meaning "to read", "to write" and "to ask (for)" belong to the "o" group.
I appreciate corrections to my mistakes in any language.

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2005-09-03, 16:08

Liisi, Mantaz Thank you very much! This is really useful!

I knew that saying, it's quite wise.
Do you know any other sayings to make mnemonics?

Another question :

gyventi

gyvenu
gyveni
gyvena
gyvename
gyvenate
gyvena

But for ruoshti

ruošiu
ruoši
ruošia
ruošiame
ruošiate
ruošia

I thought you only needed to take the -ti ending out and put the right endings. But it also adds an i. Whys that :?:

for rašyti its rašau... so then i gotta learn those three verb conjugations you told me to make all the other ones :?:
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

egidijus

Postby egidijus » 2005-09-03, 17:59

I thought you only needed to take the -ti ending out and put the right endings. But it also adds an i. Whys that Question

Ok I will tell you like a lithuanian who did'nt learn any rules (well I did, but it was about 11 years ago and I forgot everything :wink: ) I think it's becouse ia is pronounced like e but very shortly. So ruošiame and ruošia is pronuonced like ruošeme and ruoše. And in present tense words dont end by e (that rule I remember :D ) except -(i)ame, -(i)ate
for rašyti its rašau... so then i gotta learn those three verb conjugations you told me to make all the other ones Question
Yes you have to know infinitive (rašyti), 3rd person present tense (rašo), 3rd person past tense (rašė) to make other 8 tenses.

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2005-09-03, 18:28

egidijus wrote:Ok I will tell you like a lithuanian who did'nt learn any rules (well I did, but it was about 11 years ago and I forgot everything :wink: ) I think it's becouse ia is pronounced like e but very shortly. So ruošiame and ruošia is pronuonced like ruošeme and ruoše. And in present tense words dont end by e (that rule I remember :D ) except -(i)ame, -(i)ate

I think it's not quite that. For words that have root + ti (ruošti, dirbti, eiti, būti etc.) the paradigm is always like this:

1st -u
2nd -i
3rd -a

But in some cases the verb is being requires -i- to be addes and the preheading consonant is being palatalized because of it. I really want to know the rason for that, and maybe Liisi has more info. Some examples:

dirbti - dirbu, but griebti - griebiu
gti - bėgu, but engti - engiu
trukti - trunku, but traukti - traukiu
gulti - gulu, but gelti - geliu
imti - imu, but vemti - vemiu
trinti - trinu
lupti - lupu, but šelpti - šelpiu
irti - iriu
kasti - kasu
kimšti - kemšu, but ruošti - ruošiu
vežti - vežu, but gręžti - gręžiu

vicza

Postby vicza » 2005-09-03, 19:21

Manau, kad čia kadaise buvo "i". Griebiti, engiti, traukiti. Vėliau "i" dingo, o "-ia" pasiliko. :)

egidijus

Postby egidijus » 2005-09-03, 19:44

But in some cases the verb is being requires -i- to be addes and the preheading consonant is being palatalized because of it. I really want to know the rason for that, and maybe Liisi has more info. Some examples:

I think I have found the answer :)
You see the first columns bases of the words is pronounced hard, and the ending in present tense is also not soft. In the second column the word bases are pronounced softly, and the endings also pronounced the same. But I thought this theory, so dont mind about that :wink:
and it's guliu, not gulu

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2005-09-03, 19:59

egidijus wrote:

I think I have found the answer :)
You see the first columns bases of the words is pronounced hard, and the ending in present tense is also not soft. In the second column the word bases are pronounced softly, and the endings also pronounced the same. But I thought this theory, so dont mind about that :wink:
and it's guliu, not gulu

Guliu from gulėti, gulu from gulti ;)

I think palatalization is the result of it, not the cause. Vicza has a point there, but again, how to make a rule from it? Is there a rule at all? :?

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-09-03, 19:59

egidijus wrote:and it's guliu, not gulu

http://www.lkz.lt/en/startas.htm agrees on gulti, gula (and not gulia).

Note: sorry, Mantaz, hadn't seen your post. :oops:
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) ••• Deutsch (de) español rioplatense (es-AR) français (fr) magyar (hu) հայերեն (hy) italiano (it) 日本語 (ja) lingua Latina (la) ภาษาไทย (th) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2005-09-03, 20:01

Psi-Lord wrote:
egidijus wrote:and it's guliu, not gulu

http://www.lkz.lt/en/startas.htm agrees on gulti, gula (and not gulia).

Note: sorry, Mantaz, hadn't seen your post. :oops:

Hehe, do you know any Lithuanian or what? :D Actually we made our post the same time, but I was the first :D

egidijus

Postby egidijus » 2005-09-04, 10:10

Guliu from gulėti, gulu from gulti

Ok you are right, it must be a dialect, becouse I and many other people I know use word gulu just in very rare cases. Sorry :oops:

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2005-09-04, 10:16

egidijus wrote:
Guliu from gulėti, gulu from gulti

Ok you are right, it must be a dialect, becouse I and many other people I know use word gulu just in very rare cases. Sorry :oops:

Kaži ar tai tik tarmė, mat kai sakai "gulu" / "guluosi", turi omenyje, kad darai atsigulimo veiksmą, juk ir "jau atsiguliau" nuo "gulu", o ne nuo "guliu" ;)

egidijus

Postby egidijus » 2005-09-04, 10:26

Kaži ar tai tik tarmė

Ką tu tuo nori pasakyti? Kad aš nemoku lietuviškai? :?
sakai "gulu" / "guluosi", turi omenyje, kad darai atsigulimo veiksmą

aš nesakau guluosi, aš sakau guliuosi, atsiguliu

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2005-09-04, 12:05

egidijus wrote:
Kaži ar tai tik tarmė

Ką tu tuo nori pasakyti? Kad aš nemoku lietuviškai? :?
sakai "gulu" / "guluosi", turi omenyje, kad darai atsigulimo veiksmą

aš nesakau guluosi, aš sakau guliuosi, atsiguliu

Nieko aš nesakau, tik tiek, kad taisyklingai reikėtų sakyti "gultis", "guluosi", "atsigulu", bet "atsiguliau", o man net mintis nešovė, kad galėtų būt kitaip, dėl to ir ginčijuosi su tavimi ;)

egidijus

Postby egidijus » 2005-09-04, 15:13

Nieko aš nesakau, tik tiek, kad taisyklingai reikėtų sakyti "gultis", "guluosi", "atsigulu", bet "atsiguliau", o man net mintis nešovė, kad galėtų būt kitaip, dėl to ir ginčijuosi su tavimi Wink

Na jei taip, tai man panašiai buvo kai išgirdau gulu. Kažkaip liežuvis neapsiverčia taip kietai ištarti. O kad tai yra taisyklinga aš suprantu... :wink:

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-09-04, 19:54

Mantaz wrote:Hehe, do you know any Lithuanian or what? :D

None, actually. :oops: Consider me a nosy passer-by, hehe.

There's this friend of mine whose family is part Latvian, and whose mother hails from a small village here in Brazil where people still speak Latvian on a daily basis. I got interested in the topic and started to read more about Latvian myself, but I soon shifted to Lithuanian and started to try and learn some basics of the language on my own. A pity I never heard from my Lithuanian pen friend again…
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) ••• Deutsch (de) español rioplatense (es-AR) français (fr) magyar (hu) հայերեն (hy) italiano (it) 日本語 (ja) lingua Latina (la) ภาษาไทย (th) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2006-05-15, 19:44

OK. Still working on resources, and I am confused about verbs.

From the data I compiled years ago (don't ask me where I got it... I have no clue. That was about 8 years ago), it says you can tell which conjugation a verb belongs to by their endings (infinitive form):

1st: -ti, -tis
2nd: -ėti, ėtis
3rd: -yti, ytis

But the information I find now says that all verbs (infinitive form) end in -ti, and you need to know their present 3rd sing form to know the conjugation.

I am puzzled as to why someone would claim the information I originally based my information on. Is there any truth to it??

Erik / Aba
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-05-16, 15:28

Abavagada wrote:OK. Still working on resources, and I am confused about verbs.

From the data I compiled years ago (don't ask me where I got it... I have no clue. That was about 8 years ago), it says you can tell which conjugation a verb belongs to by their endings (infinitive form):

1st: -ti, -tis
2nd: -ėti, ėtis
3rd: -yti, ytis

But the information I find now says that all verbs (infinitive form) end in -ti, and you need to know their present 3rd sing form to know the conjugation.

I am puzzled as to why someone would claim the information I originally based my information on. Is there any truth to it??

Erik / Aba

In fact, ending is -ti, but suffixes -ė-, -y-, -o-, -uo- etc. might indeed tell you how to conjugate that. Althaugh you will definetely have problems with bare -ti (without suffix), coz in this case you indeed need to learn its basic forms.

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”