[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Share Vocbulary in Hindi/Urdu! - Page 3 - UniLang

Share Vocbulary in Hindi/Urdu!

Moderator: Meera

sanakhan

Re: Share Vocbulary in Hindi/Urdu!

Postby sanakhan » 2011-05-11, 16:06

i am sharing you vocabulary increasing product which helps you to increase your hindi urdu Vocabulary

For hindi link http://english.wordinn.com/?q=hindi

For urdu link http://urdu.wordinn.com/

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-05-12, 3:28

Jesus Bhai wrote:I can never take that guy seriously. My friend sent me a video of him hanging out with Daler Mehndi and Mika, in which they had tied a Pagri on his head and then changed the lyrics of one of Daler Mehndi's songs to include "yoga, baba, etc".

It was quite the spectacle.

Yeah he's kind of crazy.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

stud75

Postby stud75 » 2011-05-19, 8:35

sanakhan wrote:i am sharing you vocabulary increasing product which helps you to increase your hindi urdu Vocabulary

For hindi link http://english.wordinn.com/?q=hindi

For urdu link http://urdu.wordinn.com/

It's very useful tool indeed...thanks.
Before it I looked up in shabdkosh.com but yours is more powerfull.

stud75

Postby stud75 » 2011-05-19, 8:44

Two more words I have found which sound very english to my surprise :

संत sant- saint (by the way is it correct to write regular "n" instead of anusvara -सन्त?)

विधवा widhwa - a widow

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-08-04, 21:55

उज्जड़
Rude

कौतुकी
Comical

आकर्णक
headphones

बुहारी/कुचा
Broom

बराबर
equal

कार्यक्रम

Program
अहिंसा

Hassaan Zia

Postby Hassaan Zia » 2011-08-04, 22:01

Meera wrote:कौतुकी
Comical

आकर्णक
headphones

Not even a purist would use these two words in his high-Hindi. Hindi chauvinists created thousands of such sanskrit neologisms but they never got currency. I advice you not to use these words in your everyday speech otherwise you'll be made fun of.
Native:  (ur)
Learning at the moment:  (ar)
Loves:  (fa)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-08-04, 22:14

Hassaan Zia wrote:
Meera wrote:कौतुकी
Comical

आकर्णक
headphones

Not even a purist would use these two words in his artificial high-Hindi. Hindi chauvinists created thousands of such sanskrit neologisms but they never got currency. I advice you not to use these words in your everyday speech otherwise you'll be made fun of.

शुक्रिया जी! जानती हूँ. एक अर्तिक्ले में था. उफ़! अर्तिक्ले में क्यों शब्द इस्तमाल हैं? बहुत मुश्किल है शब्दकोष सीखना अख़बार से.

:pissed: IS there an equvilent for "I want to pull my hair out" in Hindi/Urdu? Im trying to get practice by reading newspaper and news article and they use these dumb words no one uses. Its very annoying. My old hindi teacher also used these words and would mark "urdu" words as wrong on my papers. It really makes me wanna pull my hair out sometimes :?
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-08-04, 22:16

Also for those two words, what words would be normal? I know the english"headphones" but what about comical?
अहिंसा

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2011-08-07, 22:55

Meera wrote: My old hindi teacher also used these words and would mark "urdu" words as wrong on

:spank:

Oh, I've just seen Madagascar dubbed into Hindi (with English subs), and they used BollyWords like Shukriya a lot. :)

PS
As you know, the prime minister of India prefers to get his speech delivered in Urdu script, he said [devnagri] is too complicated for his old eyes. :P
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

stud75

Postby stud75 » 2012-02-14, 15:27

What does an adjective कौणिक mean ?

LondonOwl7

Postby LondonOwl7 » 2012-02-21, 21:40

Meera wrote::pissed: IS there an equvilent for "I want to pull my hair out" in Hindi/Urdu? Im trying to get practice by reading newspaper and news article and they use these dumb words no one uses. Its very annoying.

Toh main akela nahi hoon. Akhbar mein har bar kuch ajib sabdon milta hoon jisko meri adhyapika bhi nahi kehti hai. Keisa jan sakta hoon agar yeh toh zaroorat sabd ya kuch zyada Sanskriti sadb hai? Google bhi kabhi kabhi aisa hai.
मैं विश्वास करता हूँ की शांति में बहुत शक्ति है

Speaks:  (EN-GB)  (HI-IN)
Limited:  (SV-SE)
Will Learn:  (ES-ES)  (ZH-CN)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2012-02-21, 23:12

LondonOwl7 wrote:
Meera wrote::pissed: IS there an equvilent for "I want to pull my hair out" in Hindi/Urdu? Im trying to get practice by reading newspaper and news article and they use these dumb words no one uses. Its very annoying.

Toh main akela nahi hoon. Akhbar mein har bar kuch ajib sabdon milta hoon jisko meri adhyapika bhi nahi kehti hai. Keisa jan sakta hoon agar yeh toh zaroorat sabd ya kuch zyada Sanskriti sadb hai? Google bhi kabhi kabhi aisa hai.

It's riddculious. Both Hindi and Urdu sort of have this when I read Urdu newspapers I will find Arabic words I can even find in an Urdu dictionary and when I read Hindi newspapers I can't even find some of the high sanskrit words in a dictionary. I don't know who goes out of their way to write like this. It's soo frustrating. :evil:
अहिंसा

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2012-02-22, 5:31

YES! I hate it so much. It's so annoying when I have to look up every 5 words because of the super Sanskrit and Arabic words. Ugh. Who talks like that? :evil:

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2012-02-22, 6:30

Bijlee wrote:YES! I hate it so much. It's so annoying when I have to look up every 5 words because of the super Sanskrit and Arabic words. Ugh. Who talks like that? :evil:

Its like the hardest part of Hindi/Urdu :P
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2012-03-01, 22:39

Some more random words:

ऊल-जलूल- Silly/pointless
अनुपस्थित-Absent
अर्थ-Meaning
इलाक़ा-area
गुस्ताख़ी-rudeness/nerve?
घटिया-inferroir
दुबारा-again/second time
भीगा-wet
स्वादिष्ट/मज़ेदार-tasty
सफल-successful
हवाई डाक-air mail
अहिंसा

davebrown

Postby davebrown » 2012-04-05, 16:15

Thank you for sharing the words and Phrases, I like to pick up Hindi Phrases. I had Heard of Kaisi Karni Vasi Bharni, in some hindi movie, but did not know the meaning. Hindi language is easy to pick up from films.

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-04-05, 21:20

For those of you interested....

If you have an android mobile device (not sure about iPhones, sorry) you can download from the app store a free Hindi Dictionary (Complete with devanagari toggle)

Name of the app is HindiKhoj Dictionary

For example it lists "Bhumi" as land or earth.
Interested in practicing urdu over IM services, check my profile for contact info. Big interest in Old Hindustani and Punjabi music, always uploading songs to my youtube channel.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2012-05-03, 6:20

Thanks for the info Bhai! :D
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2012-05-03, 6:48

शिकायत- Complaint
कसूर-guilt/fault
आदत-Habbit/Manners
मजबूर-helpless
बयान- Despostion/allegation/claim
राज़-secret/mystery
एहसान- favor
शान- Diginity
गहना-jewel/jewlery
रेशम-silk
घूंघट- mask/veil
मद्धम-diffused/dimmed
बेकार-waste/worthless (it can also mean someone who doesnt have a job).
अहिंसा

laoshu

Postby laoshu » 2012-08-13, 4:46

इच्छा, इरादा = desire, intention
कश कि = I wish ....
चूसना = to suck
चढ़ना = to climb
बढ़ना = to increase, to grow
दबाना = to press