[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Satsuma - Urdu - UniLang

Satsuma - Urdu

Moderator: Meera

Satsuma

Satsuma - Urdu

Postby Satsuma » 2011-01-22, 20:05

اسّلام علیکم! آج کل میں اردو سیکھرہا ہوں!

Hi everyone! I've finally gotten around to studying Urdu, so I'll use this thread to ask any questions and maybe post my progress.
If anyone's curious, the resources I am using and will be using are:
Teach Yourself Urdu
Urdu: An Essential Grammar
Teach Yourself Hindi

I have one quick trivial question for now. The Urdu word for meat, my friend says it's "boTi" (or something similar, I don't know how to spell it) but I've read that the word is گوشت. So is "boTi" dialectal or something?

Rémy LeBeau

Re: Satsuma - Urdu

Postby Rémy LeBeau » 2011-01-22, 21:17

Boṭi is like, a piece of (cooked) meat attached to the bone, but meat in general is gosht.
ਧਰਤੀ 'ਤੇ ਲਹੂ ਵੱਸਿਆ । 
ਕ਼ਬਰਾਂ ਪਈਆਂ ਚੋਣ
 । ਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਦੀਆਂ ਸ਼ਹਿਜ਼ਾਦੀਆਂ 
। ਅੱਜ ਵਿੱਚ ਮਜ਼ਾਰਾਂ ਰੋਣ ।
dhartī 'tē lahū vassiā | qabarāṅ paīāṅ ćoṇ | prīt dīāṅ śahizādīāṅ | ajj vićć mazārāṅ roṇ |

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-01-22, 21:24

Welcome to the Hindi/urdu board :)
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2011-01-22, 23:04

بہت شکریہ، ریمے اور میرا۔

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-01-23, 0:27

koi baat nahin yaar
अहिंसा

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2011-04-03, 1:56

I haven't forgotten about Urdu, don't worry. :wink:

How do you determine which syllable gets stressed in a word?

RChakravarti

Postby RChakravarti » 2011-04-03, 16:41

Welcome to this forum Satsuma-ji! :)

I am not sure what your current question is. COuld you elaborate on what exactly you are looking for? Do you have specific words you are looking for help on? There is no real generic rule I can provide for you at the moment.

Regards,
Rajiv

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2011-04-04, 1:13

RChakravarti wrote:
Satsuma wrote:How do you determine which syllable gets stressed in a word?
I am not sure what your current question is. Could you elaborate on what exactly you are looking for? Do you have specific words you are looking for help on? There is no real generic rule I can provide for you at the moment.
I'm looking for a general rule on stress placement. I read something about vowel length and syllable weight (or something) on Wikipedia about this, but I know of a few exceptions to this "rule." That's why I was wondering if anyone knew of a rule, or could explain Wikipedia's version better. (However, I can't remember what page I saw the rule on. :( )

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-04-05, 3:28

Satsuma, I have never heard of this before lol. Maybe that just shows how bad my Hindi/Urdu lol Just learn pronciaution from listening, I think this is the best way.
अहिंसा

RChakravarti

Postby RChakravarti » 2011-04-05, 23:05

Satsuma wrote:I'm looking for a general rule on stress placement. I read something about vowel length and syllable weight (or something) on Wikipedia about this, but I know of a few exceptions to this "rule." That's why I was wondering if anyone knew of a rule, or could explain Wikipedia's version better. (However, I can't remember what page I saw the rule on. :( )

---

I think I see where you are going, but there is not a set of rules I know of or can provide you with. The problem is that as a person who grew up listening to the language, I cannot decipher "sets" or generic paths to follow on emphasis.

That being said, I looked around online for how non-natives may perceive the language and its sounds, and hit some interesting links, such as this one:

http://www.crulp.org/Publication/Crulp_ ... 02_24E.pdf

I feel this may be too technical for your purpose though. But do go through it, the author has devised her own "algorithm," if you will based on the length of a word, and has statistically determined the likely stress.

--
On the other hand, a good Hindi dictionary with English/Roman diacritics would help you more than anything else. Finally, feel free to ask here, or via my IM/email, and I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

Good luck, and regards,
Rajiv

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2011-04-07, 21:27

Oh well, thanks anyway, guys!

I can't for the life of me pronounce تشریف . The ر + ش is too much for my tongue to handle. :lol:

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-04-08, 5:26

Isnt it pronounced like sharr?
अहिंसा

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2011-04-08, 21:01

It's pronounced "tashrīf".

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-04-13, 16:01

I know the whole word is prounced like tashrif lol, but the sh sound like "shr" in the ر + ش the part u said was hard, it isnt too hard :P just try to say it fast like ten times or repeat the part over and over. Also if you try to say like "shri" and then tashriif. hmm sorry this makes no sense, but I'm trying to think of how to help you prounce it. lol Its really not as difficult as some other sounds in Urdu. lol
अहिंसा

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2011-04-13, 22:34

There's a new kid from Pakistan at my school, and I got to practice Urdu with him. The conversation ended pretty abruptly and awkwardly, though. :?

Me: "You're from Pakistan, right?"
Him: "Yes."
Me: "So.. کیا اپ کو اردو اتی ہے؟"
Him: *I forgot what he said.*
Me: "میں اردو پڑھتا ہوں"
Him: "آپ اردو کیسے پڑھتے ہیں؟"
Me: "Uh.. مجھ کو سمجھ نہیں"
Him: "How do you study Urdu?"
Me: "Oh. Um.. کتاب"
Me: "I use a book and I have a friend who can speak Urdu."
Him: "Good."
Me: "..."
Him: "..."

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-04-14, 3:58

Satsuma wrote:There's a new kid from Pakistan at my school, and I got to practice Urdu with him. The conversation ended pretty abruptly and awkwardly, though. :?

Me: "You're from Pakistan, right?"
Him: "Yes."
Me: "So.. کیا اپ کو اردو اتی ہے؟"
Him: *I forgot what he said.*
Me: "میں اردو پڑھتا ہوں"
Him: "آپ اردو کیسے پڑھتے ہیں؟"
Me: "Uh.. مجھ کو سمجھ نہیں"
Me: "Oh. Um.. کتاب"
Me: "I use a book and I have a friend who can speak Urdu."
Him: "Good."
Me: "..."
Him: "..."

aaaaw, your urdu looks good though :) Maybe hes just not freindly ....lol
अहिंसा

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2011-05-24, 2:39

Can anyone recommend any good English-Urdu or English-Hindi dictionaries? I was considering purchasing the Oxford English-Urdu dictionary, but it seems more geared toward Urdu speakers who are learning English, as the Urdu script in the book doesn't show vowels IIRC.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2011-05-24, 14:56

I use the oxford hindi-english and its really good.
अहिंसा

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”