[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
Could you help translate a sentence from Hindi to English? - UniLang

Could you help translate a sentence from Hindi to English?

Moderator: Meera

BlankVerse

Could you help translate a sentence from Hindi to English?

Postby BlankVerse » 2011-04-05, 14:15

उसके कान पासवाली मेज़ पर लगे थे, जिस पर एक पुलिसवाला अपनी वरदी पहने और किश्ती-नुमा टोपी मेज़ पर रखे बैठा था, उसके साथ एक औरत थी जो शायद उसकी पत्नी थी.

I don't know what कान पासवाली and किश्ती-नुमा mean and can't figure out the meaning of the whole sentence.

RChakravarti

Re: Could you help translate a sentence from Hindi to English?

Postby RChakravarti » 2011-04-05, 23:15

BlankVerse wrote:उसके कान पासवाली मेज़ पर लगे थे, जिस पर एक पुलिसवाला अपनी वरदी पहने और किश्ती-नुमा टोपी मेज़ पर रखे बैठा था, उसके साथ एक औरत थी जो शायद उसकी पत्नी थी.

I don't know what कान पासवाली and किश्ती-नुमा mean and can't figure out the meaning of the whole sentence.

--
a) The words are separate "paas" (near) and "vaali" (that which is/was).

b) kishti-numaa: compound word here, really should be "kashti-numaa" (boat-like/shaped).
Note that this compound word is kind of a misfit in an otherwise normal Hindi sentence, this being the lone "Urdu" construct (both kashti = boat and numaa = like coming from Persian roots).

The meaning of the sentence hence, would be:

"His/her ears were (placed) on the table near his ears, on which a policeman -- wearing his uniform was seated, with his boat-shaped cap placed on the table. Accompanying(/with) him was a lady, who perhaps was his wife."
--

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Rajiv

BlankVerse

Postby BlankVerse » 2011-04-06, 15:48

I am very sorry to ask again but "His/her ears were (placed) on the table near his ears, on which a policeman..." doesn't make any sense to me :D I can't imagine ears sitting on a table. Also, his ears were on the table which is near his ears??

Is there something about overhearing the conversation on the next table? This is how I imagine it. In Hindi when you say "kaan paas vaalii mez par lage the" is it possible that it means you're listening to the conversation going on between the people sitting on the next table? :D

Thank you very much for you answer :)))) it helped a lot :)

RChakravarti

Postby RChakravarti » 2011-04-06, 22:02

BlankVerse wrote:I am very sorry to ask again but "His/her ears were (placed) on the table near his ears, on which a policeman..." doesn't make any sense to me :D I can't imagine ears sitting on a table. Also, his ears were on the table which is near his ears??

Is there something about overhearing the conversation on the next table? This is how I imagine it. In Hindi when you say "kaan paas vaalii mez par lage the" is it possible that it means you're listening to the conversation going on between the people sitting on the next table? :D

Thank you very much for you answer :)))) it helped a lot :)

--
You are right - it is a colloquial - I did a literal translation (ignore the failure to edit causing a typo with the 2nd ears) -- kaan lagaana is another one of those usages:

See the following varied uses of how to use "kaan":
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philol ... 582.platts

Note the : kān lagānā (-par) = kān rakhnā, q.v.:—kān lagnā (-ke), To get at the ear (of), get into the confidence (of);—to be attentive;

--

I am sure that answers your question now. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Rajiv
PS: If the word was "sar rakhnaa" instead of "kaan rakhnaa," that would certainly mean "leaning one's head."

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”