[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The Bollywood Topic - Page 6 - UniLang

The Bollywood Topic

Moderator: Meera

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Re: The Bollywood Topic

Postby Meera » 2013-10-13, 0:32

I love that song. Actually after this film came out I was obessesed with Karisma for a while, I was like such a crazy fan of her. And when she stopped acting I was seriously like heartbroken :( And then I got obessesed with her sister Kareena and forgot about Karisma :P
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-10-13, 0:44

I used to not be able to stand Kareena, but now I really like her acting. I haven't watched many movies with Karisma in them though, so I don't really have much an opinion on her. :P

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-10-13, 1:54

She's good, some of her early movies are really weird. Fiza is good. And Dil Toh pagaal hai is also pretty good. Actually when I look back in her movies, I don'y know why I liked her so much haha. But back then she was pretty bold for an Indian actress thats why I think I liked her so much. Did you know she was engaged to Abhsiek Bachchan (Amitbh's son)? They dated for seven or eight years and I heard Jaya was nasty to Karisma and the engagment got called of and she ended up marrying some bussiness man. But supposedly they are separting now.

This movie is awful but the song is hilirious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_CO73AxnI
अहिंसा

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-10-13, 2:20

Meera wrote:She's good, some of her early movies are really weird. Fiza is good. And Dil Toh pagaal hai is also pretty good. Actually when I look back in her movies, I don'y know why I liked her so much haha. But back then she was pretty bold for an Indian actress thats why I think I liked her so much. Did you know she was engaged to Abhsiek Bachchan (Amitbh's son)? They dated for seven or eight years and I heard Jaya was nasty to Karisma and the engagment got called of and she ended up marrying some bussiness man. But supposedly they are separting now.

I didn't know that! I don't know much of anything about all the Bollywood couples and what-not. Too much drama to keep up with. Haha :P
[video]

Time to post this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmRlFr85XU#t=96
With the "sexy" lyrics, but without video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxMnbKOaQrg

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-10-13, 2:30

I don't know if you guys know this but many Bollywood stars have nicknames that their fans call them and sometimes even Bollywood news shows will use them. I don't think Hollywood does this but it's quite common in India and South Asia to use shorted names or nicknames. So here is the list of the ones I know:

Big B- Amitabh bachchan
SRK/King Khan-Shahrukh Khan
Sallu-Salman Khan
Duggu-Hrithik Roshan
Akki/AK-Akshay Kumar
Lolo-Karisma Kapoor
Bebo-Kareena Kapoor
Aish/Ash/Aishu- Aishwarya Rai
Kat/Katu-Katrina Kaif
Piggy Chops/Pri-Priyanka Chopra
Kadz-Kajol
Deeps-Deepika Padukone
Bips-Bipasha Basu
Sri-Sridevi
Sona- sometimes reffered to Sonakshi Sinha or sometimes Sonam Kapoor
Shilpz-Shilpa Shetty
Sush-Sushmita Sen
Madz-Madhuri Dixit
Daboo-Ranbir Kapoor
Saifu-Saif Ali Khan
Koko- Konkona sen sharma
sanju-Sanjay Dutt
Emi/serial kisser-Emraan Hashmi

This post may seem useless but these names are used by a lot of Bollywood fans and are seen commonly in Hindi magazine articles and websites. I even seen BBC Hindi use it. I think that's most of them but I'm sure I forgot some. :P
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-10-13, 2:32

Bijlee wrote:
Meera wrote:She's good, some of her early movies are really weird. Fiza is good. And Dil Toh pagaal hai is also pretty good. Actually when I look back in her movies, I don'y know why I liked her so much haha. But back then she was pretty bold for an Indian actress thats why I think I liked her so much. Did you know she was engaged to Abhsiek Bachchan (Amitbh's son)? They dated for seven or eight years and I heard Jaya was nasty to Karisma and the engagment got called of and she ended up marrying some bussiness man. But supposedly they are separting now.

I didn't know that! I don't know much of anything about all the Bollywood couples and what-not. Too much drama to keep up with. Haha :P
[video]

Time to post this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmRlFr85XU#t=96
With the "sexy" lyrics, but without video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxMnbKOaQrg

Haha my mom told me if there was a bollywood version of jeopardy i would probably win a lot of money, it's kind of all absoutle useless information though:p And omg those songs haha! I love Govinda. I always thought sexy sexy sounded better than baby baby baby haha
अहिंसा

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-10-13, 3:55

I don't know if you guys know this but many Bollywood stars have nicknames that their fans call them and sometimes even Bollywood news shows will use them. I don't think Hollywood does this but it's quite common in India and South Asia to use shorted names or nicknames. So here is the list of the ones I know:
Tabloid magazines often call celebrities by their first names ("Kim", "Lindsay", "Britney"). That's kind of similar. They also have portmanteau names for couples ("Brangelina" for example).

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-10-13, 4:20

mōdgethanc wrote:
Tabloid magazines often call celebrities by their first names ("Kim", "Lindsay", "Britney"). That's kind of similar. They also have portmanteau names for couples ("Brangelina" for example).

Oh yeah I forgot about the couple names, I think they are so annoying. I think Bollywood fans do this for their favorite onscreen couples. For example, "Shani" for Shahrukh and Rani but I never see it in magazines.
अहिंसा

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-06, 3:24

Namaste!! :D

Fellow Bollywood lover here! My name is Jess and I'm from Australia. I've loved Bollywood films since 2003. I was introduced by a friend of mine, who is Australian but with a Malay/Indian background. The first film I ever watched was Mohabbatein and it's definitely one of my firm favourites.

Since being introduced, I have watched over 50 Bollywood/Indian-centric films (you can view my entire list here, if you like!!). My favourite actors and actresses include Aamir Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Akshaye Khanna, Shahid Kapoor, Juhi Chawla, Karisma Kapoor and Kajol. I also have a soft spot for all the 'couples' in Mohabbatein haha (mainly the boys, so Uday Chopra, Jugal Hansraj and Jimmy Shergill).

Favourite movies? Apart from Mohabbatein, I love: Dil Se, One 2 Ka 4, Main Hoon Naa, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Jab We Met... but generally, there aren't many films I've hated!

:D
.............Fluent in: Australian English (en-au)
.............Learning: Uzbek (uz)
......Knowledge of: German (de), Hindi (hi)
......Fascinated by: Russian (ru), Arabic (ar), Spanish (es), Turkic languages (Uyghur (ug),Kyrgyz (ky),Turkish (tr))

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-11-06, 3:39

schokolade wrote:Namaste!! :D

Fellow Bollywood lover here! My name is Jess and I'm from Australia. I've loved Bollywood films since 2003. I was introduced by a friend of mine, who is Australian but with a Malay/Indian background. The first film I ever watched was Mohabbatein and it's definitely one of my firm favourites.

Since being introduced, I have watched over 50 Bollywood/Indian-centric films (you can view my entire list here, if you like!!). My favourite actors and actresses include Aamir Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Akshaye Khanna, Shahid Kapoor, Juhi Chawla, Karisma Kapoor and Kajol. I also have a soft spot for all the 'couples' in Mohabbatein haha (mainly the boys, so Uday Chopra, Jugal Hansraj and Jimmy Shergill).

Favourite movies? Apart from Mohabbatein, I love: Dil Se, One 2 Ka 4, Main Hoon Naa, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Jab We Met... but generally, there aren't many films I've hated!

:D

Hi Jess welcome to the forum! Wow, I love your list of BW movies, I have seen all of them also. I loved Dil Se, MHN and JWB! I loved Kareena in JWB.

If you can try to watch Chennai Express, it's Shahrukh's latest and Deepika Padukone stars opposite him. Anyway it was one of the best of 2013 so far. I also suggest Lootera, Shudh Desi Romance, they werre good ones released this year also.
अहिंसा

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-06, 11:32

Meera wrote:Hi Jess welcome to the forum! Wow, I love your list of BW movies, I have seen all of them also. I loved Dil Se, MHN and JWB! I loved Kareena in JWB.

If you can try to watch Chennai Express, it's Shahrukh's latest and Deepika Padukone stars opposite him. Anyway it was one of the best of 2013 so far. I also suggest Lootera, Shudh Desi Romance, they werre good ones released this year also.

Thanks Meera :) Yes, I've watched a tonne!! I ordered the DVDs of Mast (with Aftab Shivdasani) and Tera Mera Ki Rishta (with Jimmy Shergill) recently and hopefully they get here soon, more films to add to my list :)

Thanks for the recs! Chennai Express was screened at a cinema here in September, and I would have gone but I was sick :( A friend of mine went and said it was awesome, so I'll definitely check it out someday! Haven't heard of the other two you recommended, but I'll look them up as well.

I actually have a Hindi-related question... Sometimes they say something that sounds like, "Henna?" and the subtitle always says something like "Isn't it?" (which is a bit of an awkward phrase in English but I understand what they mean by it). What exactly is that Hindi word they say?!
......Fascinated by: Russian (ru), Arabic (ar), Spanish (es), Turkic languages (Uyghur (ug),Kyrgyz (ky),Turkish (tr))

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-11-06, 15:26

schokolade wrote:
Meera wrote:Hi Jess welcome to the forum! Wow, I love your list of BW movies, I have seen all of them also. I loved Dil Se, MHN and JWB! I loved Kareena in JWB.

Thanks Meera :) Yes, I've watched a tonne!! I ordered the DVDs of Mast (with Aftab Shivdasani) and Tera Mera Ki Rishta (with Jimmy Shergill) recently and hopefully they get here soon, more films to add to my list :)

Thanks for the recs! Chennai Express was screened at a cinema here in September, and I would have gone but I was sick :( A friend of mine went and said it was awesome, so I'll definitely check it out someday! Haven't heard of the other two you recommended, but I'll look them up as well.

I actually have a Hindi-related question... Sometimes they say something that sounds like, "Henna?" and the subtitle always says something like "Isn't it?" (which is a bit of an awkward phrase in English but I understand what they mean by it). What exactly is that Hindi word they say?!

Hi Jess, they are saying hai na? I'm not sure if we have this in English but it means "isn't it?" and kind of works like the French N'est-ce pas?

hai is the present tense singular verb to be and na means not. In the Hindi script it would look like this:
है न?

Hope this cleared it up. :mrgreen:
अहिंसा

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-06, 23:00

Meera wrote:Hi Jess, they are saying hai na? I'm not sure if we have this in English but it means "isn't it?" and kind of works like the French N'est-ce pas?

hai is the present tense singular verb to be and na means not. In the Hindi script it would look like this:
है न?

OMG! Haha I feel really dumb now... :blush: They say it really fast though, no wonder I couldn't figure it out... *sigh* Thanks Meera!

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-11-07, 6:28

schokolade wrote:
Meera wrote:Hi Jess, they are saying hai na? I'm not sure if we have this in English but it means "isn't it?" and kind of works like the French N'est-ce pas?

है न?

OMG! Haha I feel really dumb now... :blush: They say it really fast though, no wonder I couldn't figure it out... *sigh* Thanks Meera!

Don't feel dumb, theres no dumb questions when it comes to lanaguages :mrgreen:
अहिंसा

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-08, 0:22

Meera wrote:Don't feel dumb, theres no dumb questions when it comes to lanaguages :mrgreen:

Haha, that's true I guess... :P

Bijlee wrote:I used to not be able to stand Kareena, but now I really like her acting. I haven't watched many movies with Karisma in them though, so I don't really have much an opinion on her. :P

I keep forgetting to reply to this! I used to hate Kareena too! I have a feeling it was her character Pooja in KKKG that made me dislike her lol... I saw her in Asoka but can't remember much about that film. I purposely avoided watching films that she starred in...! (Isn't that awful?!)
It wasn't until I finally relented and watched Jab We Met that my feelings changed. I thought she was delightful in that movie!! Great chemistry with Shahid (I heard they dated a bit?). I've seen her in a few other things since (3 Idiots is one!).

One actor I'm not keen on is Salman Khan... I think it's his 'bad boy' persona. I'm a fan of the good guys ;)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-11-08, 16:31

schokolade wrote:
Meera wrote:Don't feel dumb, theres no dumb questions when it comes to lanaguages :mrgreen:

Haha, that's true I guess... :P

Bijlee wrote:I used to not be able to stand Kareena, but now I really like her acting. I haven't watched many movies with Karisma in them though, so I don't really have much an opinion on her. :P

I keep forgetting to reply to this! I used to hate Kareena too! I have a feeling it was her character Pooja in KKKG that made me dislike her lol... I saw her in Asoka but can't remember much about that film. I purposely avoided watching films that she starred in...! (Isn't that awful?!)
It wasn't until I finally relented and watched Jab We Met that my feelings changed. I thought she was delightful in that movie!! Great chemistry with Shahid (I heard they dated a bit?). I've seen her in a few other things since (3 Idiots is one!).

One actor I'm not keen on is Salman Khan... I think it's his 'bad boy' persona. I'm a fan of the good guys ;)

Yes Kareena and Shahid dated for a while. Then Shahid cheated on her with Priyanka Chopra (I think) and Kareena ended up with Saif. I always loved Kareena since Refugee and Asoka. She was my favorite thing about KKKG. You should watch Talaash and Heroine to see some two awesome Kareena performances. Also Omkara, she was amazing in it. Also Mujhe Dosti Karoge, she played second to Rani in it, but she was good and I loved seeing her, rani and Hrithik in the same movie :mrgreen:
अहिंसा

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-11-08, 17:01

schokolade wrote:I keep forgetting to reply to this! I used to hate Kareena too! I have a feeling it was her character Pooja in KKKG that made me dislike her lol... I saw her in Asoka but can't remember much about that film. I purposely avoided watching films that she starred in...! (Isn't that awful?!)

Actually I think around after seeing Jab We Met was when my opinion changed too. I really like Kareena now, she's probably my favorite after Madhuri Dixit (I'm in love with Madhuri :blush:). Kareena is really good at pulling off a lot of different styles and personalities.
Shahrukh Khan, for example- he's good, but I always view him as the same basic character with the same underlying personality. I like how I'm able to see Kareena with different personas.

Meera wrote:Yes Kareena and Shahid dated for a while. Then Shahid cheated on her with Priyanka Chopra (I think) and Kareena ended up with Saif. I always loved Kareena since Refugee and Asoka. She was my favorite thing about KKKG. You should watch Talaash and Heroine to see some two awesome Kareena performances. Also Omkara, she was amazing in it. Also Mujhe Dosti Karoge, she played second to Rani in it, but she was good and I loved seeing her, rani and Hrithik in the same movie :mrgreen:

Thanks for the movie suggestions, Meera!

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-11-08, 18:50

कोई बात नहीं बिजली! आशा हूँ कि तुमको फिल्मों पसंद है!
अहिंसा

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-09, 7:19

Meera wrote:Yes Kareena and Shahid dated for a while. Then Shahid cheated on her with Priyanka Chopra (I think) and Kareena ended up with Saif. I always loved Kareena since Refugee and Asoka. She was my favorite thing about KKKG. You should watch Talaash and Heroine to see some two awesome Kareena performances. Also Omkara, she was amazing in it. Also Mujhe Dosti Karoge, she played second to Rani in it, but she was good and I loved seeing her, rani and Hrithik in the same movie :mrgreen:

Well, that's lovely of you Mr Kapoor!!! I've only seen Priyanka in one movie - What's Your Raashee?. She also stars in the big flop of a film Love Story 2050, which I haven't seen, but which was partly FILMED IN MY CITY, ADELAIDE!!!! :D

I will look up those movies you recommended! I think I've seen Mujhe Dosti Karoge... but not for a long time, perhaps I need to watch it again!

Bijlee wrote:Actually I think around after seeing Jab We Met was when my opinion changed too. I really like Kareena now, she's probably my favorite after Madhuri Dixit (I'm in love with Madhuri :blush:). Kareena is really good at pulling off a lot of different styles and personalities.
Shahrukh Khan, for example- he's good, but I always view him as the same basic character with the same underlying personality. I like how I'm able to see Kareena with different personas.

I actually haven't seen many films starring Madhuri! What would you recommend? (apart from Devdas and Dil To Pagal Hai).

AHHH yesss I know exactly what you mean about SRK! That's probably why I love him so much though, because pretty much all of his characters are inherently 'good' (even if they seem like a badass on the outside - One 2 Ka 4, case in point!).

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-11-09, 16:12

Priyanka was in Saat Khoon Maaf,Dostana, and Fashion. She's also in the remake Don series. All those films are good if you want to check them out.

For Madhuri check out Devdas (she has a supporting role), Hum Aapke Hain Kaun (I hate this movie but Madhuri has a big role in it), Aaja Naachle, Anjaam, Pukar, Ram Lakhan, and Lajja. I'm not the biggest Madhuri fan so Bijlee might be able to give you more recomendations :)
अहिंसा

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”