[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
devanagri no longer used??! - UniLang

devanagri no longer used??!

Moderator: Meera

jiback7

devanagri no longer used??!

Postby jiback7 » 2012-06-23, 18:09

Whenever I try to chat with someone from india, they don't understand devanagri. I don't understand they're way of transliterating hindi to english letters so well.
I'd think that in india, shops, signs, menus would use devanagri. Don't they??! :(

Jesus Bhai

Re: devanagri no longer used??!

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-06-23, 20:10

There's a bigger emphasis placed on use of roman alphabet for sure. Like when I chat with my friends in Hindi or Punjabi, we always use Roman letters. Not because we don't know Devanagari or Gurmukhi or even Nastaliq (in the case of urdu) but just because it's what we're used to. Though for me, aside from books and signs, reading Devanagari is hard on a computer, the fonts are always so small in size. And urdu is another thing all together.

And in my experience, in India, Signs and menus tend to be in BOTH scripts. They'll list something in Devanagari then roman right underneath.
Interested in practicing urdu over IM services, check my profile for contact info. Big interest in Old Hindustani and Punjabi music, always uploading songs to my youtube channel.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2012-06-24, 5:14

jiback7 wrote:Whenever I try to chat with someone from india, they don't understand devanagri. I don't understand they're way of transliterating hindi to english letters so well.
I'd think that in india, shops, signs, menus would use devanagri. Don't they??! :(

In the Hindi speaking belt in India the Devanagri script is used! Mostly likely the English translation is under it (although sometimes it is really incomprehrensible) however in chats and online usueally the latin script is used, probably because its much eaiser to type in it. Alot of mobile devices dont have a hindi keyboard installed and some computers dont either. Plus typing in the script is difficult the font is too small the letters are all over the place etc. I think this is why on electronic things they dont use the script. However it would be rare to see any news site, newspaper or something formally written in the latin script.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-06-27, 21:26

Yeah that's true. Especially with news. Not only do they use Devanagari but they also use those big Sanskrit sounding words that fly right over my head. So if anyone is into learning only from books, the news is the place for them to check how they're learning is going. I read something awhile back, that in India (in the Urdu speaking areas) the youth there don't actually know the Nastaliq or Naksh scripts, so the newspapers will write the Urdu news, IN Devanagari (with a few modified letters)

WHICH is good for me if I ever go there, because I can't read or write Nastaliq or Naksh to save my life! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Interested in practicing urdu over IM services, check my profile for contact info. Big interest in Old Hindustani and Punjabi music, always uploading songs to my youtube channel.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2012-06-28, 6:50

Jesus Bhai wrote:Yeah that's true. Especially with news. Not only do they use Devanagari but they also use those big Sanskrit sounding words that fly right over my head. So if anyone is into learning only from books, the news is the place for them to check how they're learning is going. I read something awhile back, that in India (in the Urdu speaking areas) the youth there don't actually know the Nastaliq or Naksh scripts, so the newspapers will write the Urdu news, IN Devanagari (with a few modified letters)

WHICH is good for me if I ever go there, because I can't read or write Nastaliq or Naksh to save my life! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Neither can I :( I try but it looks horrible
अहिंसा

vital

Postby vital » 2012-09-28, 17:17

As per google transliteration ,The simplicity of learning and writing devanagari script lies in India's simplest Mahatma Gandhi's Gujarati Script along with Roman script but Hindi states are not willing adopt Gujarati script in writing Hindi.

Devanagari देवनागरी દેવનાગરી
http://www.google.com/transliterate/Gujarati

jiback7 wrote:Whenever I try to chat with someone from india, they don't understand devanagri. I don't understand they're way of transliterating hindi to english letters so well.

Nazīr

Postby Nazīr » 2012-10-01, 1:26

vital wrote:As per google transliteration ,The simplicity of learning and writing devanagari script lies in India's simplest Mahatma Gandhi's Gujarati Script along with Roman script but Hindi states are not willing adopt Gujarati script in writing Hindi.

Vital, you claim that Indian states should replace Devanagari with the Gujarati script to write Hindi because the latter is simpler to learn and write. Could you elaborate? As far as I know, the major difference between the two scripts is the absence of the top horizontal bar in Gujarati; otherwise, they are very similar.

Also, I think it's ironic that you invoke Mahatma Gandhi's linguistic heritage in your argument when Gandhi himself was in favor of replacing all Indic scripts, including Gujarati, with Devanagari. He was also against the adoption of the Roman script. See here.
ख़ुसरो दरिया प्रेम का उल्टा वा धार । जो उतरा सो डूब गया जो डूबा सो पार | अमीर ख़ुसरौ दहलवी
O Khusro, the river of love runs in strange directions. |
The one who enters it drowns, and the one who drowns, gets across. |
Amīr Khusro of Dehlī (1253–1325 CE)

vital

Postby vital » 2012-10-01, 4:21

Nazi'r,
Where did Mahatma Gandhi learn Hindi in his school days?

There are so many similar articles to the posted link that promote Devanagari Script in writing other Indian languages but how far can it go without simplification of it's script? Why do they promote Devanagari script by writing article in English?

Most Indian states don’t want to give up their state language scripts but they can learn Hindi in local state language or in IAST Roman Script through script converter.This way each state will have two languages script formula.

As long as Urdu is not written in Devanagari Script,Hindi will not be popular in non Hindi states.
Gujarati Script(Nagari Scrip) is a simple modified scrip of Devanagari Script.Why not adopt this simple script without horizontal lines in writing Hindi.

People in Gujarat do write Sanskrit Shlokas in Gujarati Script.

If Gujarat and other States can learn Devanagari Script in schools why Hindi states can not learn simple Gujarati Script?

In a modern world a language script may disappear like MODI Script(Marathi) if not made simple and translatable using simple words.If China can simplify it’s writing script why Hindi script cann't be simplified by using Gujarati Script or Roman script? For foreigners, Gujarati script is lot more easier to learn than Hindi Script.

Think,Why most Hindi song lyrics are written in English but not in Hindi?

People don’t mind learning non-technical Hindi but India needs one easy Script for all languages and that’s Gujarati Script.But let the people of India decide what they want.

Thanks.

You may browse these links.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/opin ... 321862.cms
http://dpkraj.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/ ... omment-608

http://saralhindi.wordpress.com/
Last edited by vital on 2012-10-01, 4:33, edited 1 time in total.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2012-10-01, 18:38

Vital, I understand where you are coming from but Gujurati and the Gujurati script are unique to one part of India and you can make the same argument for the other regional langueages also, why doesn't the Hindi speaking states learn the Punjabi or Bengali script? And sorry but I have to disagree with Gujurati being eaiser than then the Devangari script. I'm a foreigner who has learned devangari and dabbled in Gujurati, and although they are very similair, devangari was much eaiser to write. Gujurati is unique to Gujurat, just like Bengali is unique to West Bengal and Gurumukhi is unique to Punjabi. Also if I remember correctly, wasn't Gandhi in favor of Hindi being the lingua franca of India?
अहिंसा

vital

Postby vital » 2012-10-01, 19:55

Meera',
You may be exceptionally brilliant in learning and mastering Hindi.

I am just promoting easy Gujarati Script in writing Hindi but not the spoken Gujarati Language.
I encourage foreigners to learn Hindi in Roman Script or in Gujarati script through script Converter as shown on Google Translate.Why draw horizontal lines on letters if not needed?

Hindi is taught in middle school throughout India and only bollywood Hindi has become popular but not technical Hindi at scientific level.You will find most Hindi Song lyrics also written in Roman script.

http://www.giitaayan.com/search.asp?fi= ... e=Song&s=C

Let the people visit Google Transliteration and decide which script is easier for them to learn.

http://www.google.com/transliterate/Gujarati
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

A B bh C ch chh D dh E F G gh H I J K kh L M N O

अ ब भ क च छ ड/द ध/ढ़ इ फ ग घ ह ई ज क ख ल म न/ण ऑ............Devanagari Script

અ બ ભ ક ચ છ ડ/દ ધ /ઢ ઇ ફ ગ ઘ હ ઈ જ ક ખ લ મ ન/ણ ઓ..........Gujarati Script

P ph Q R S sh T th U V W X Y Z

प फ क्यू र स श ट/त ठ/थ उ व व क्ष य झ

પ ફ ક ર સ શ ટ/ત ઠ/થ ઉ વ વ ક્ષ ય ઝ

a aa i ee u oo e ai o au am ah
अ आ इ ई उ ऊ ऐ ऐ ओ औ अं अह
અ આ ઇ ઈ ઉ ઊ એ ઐ ઓ ઔ અં અ:

k ka ki kee ku koo ke kai ko kau kam kh
क का कि की कु कू के कै को कौ कं क:
ક કા કિ કી કુ કૂ કે કૈ કો કૌ કં કઃ

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
१ २ ३ ४ ५ ६ ७ ८ ९ १०
૧ ૨ ૩ ૪ ૫ ૬ ૭ ૮ ૯ ૧૦

ડ/ટ >>>>>>ક (k),ફ(ph), ડ (d) , ઠ (th), હ (h), ટ (T), ઢ(dh), થ(th) પ(P), ય(Y) , ખ(kh), ષ(sh)

R/2>>>>>>ર(R), ચ (ch),સ(S), શ(sh), અ(A)

C/4>>>>>>ગ (g), ભ (bh),ઝ (Z), જ (J) ણ(N), બ(bh) લ(L), વ(V)

દ >>>>>>>દ(D),ઘ(dh),ઘ(gh),ઈ(ee), ઈ(I,i), છ (chhh)

m>>>>>>>મ(M)

n>>>>>>>>ન (n,N),ત(T,t)

U>>.>>>>>ળ(r,l)

Have a fun !

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”