[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
यह and वह - UniLang

यह and वह

Moderator: Meera

mōdgethanc

यह and वह

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-30, 2:02

I have a quick question about the pronunciation of the words यह and वह. In TY Hindi, Snell writes them yah and vah and doesn't mention anything about their pronunciation. But I remember reading somewhere (I think it was on Unilang) that these words are in fact pronounced ye and vo. How are they most commonly pronounced, then? Wiktionary even says they can be pronounced ye and ve in which case they would sound exactly like the related words ये and वे. How do people tell them apart in speech, then? What pronunciation is the most widespread?

Bijlee

Re: यह and वह

Postby Bijlee » 2013-07-30, 2:16

For all colloquial purposes, you'll hear "ye" and "vo" for both plural and singular. The यह/ये, वह/वे distinction is mostly just a concern for writing. For everyday speech, people won't differentiate.
I hear "ve" at times, but personally I'd just stick to "vo".

Edit:

Also! I think it's useful to note the way Urdu spells it, which is more true to the pronunciation. It makes me wonder if Urdu speakers would ever use the "ve" pronunciation... :hmm:
یہ = यह/ये
وہ = वह/वे

HindiBhashaWala

Postby HindiBhashaWala » 2013-07-30, 3:27

यह is singular, and it is pronounced ये, always.
ये is plural, and it is pronounced the same as the singular - ये.

वह is singular, and it is pronounced वो.
वे is plural, and it is pronounced as it is spelled - वे.

वे, the plural form, however, is generally not used. Instead the singular वह is used, both the spelling and the pronunciation.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-07-30, 3:51

mōdgethanc wrote:I have a quick question about the pronunciation of the words यह and वह. In TY Hindi, Snell writes them yah and vah and doesn't mention anything about their pronunciation. But I remember reading somewhere (I think it was on Unilang) that these words are in fact pronounced ye and vo. How are they most commonly pronounced, then? Wiktionary even says they can be pronounced ye and ve in which case they would sound exactly like the related words ये and वे. How do people tell them apart in speech, then? What pronunciation is the most widespread?

Bijlee and HindiBhasha are both right. You would tell them apart in speech by the ending of the verb, for example you know ये is always plural because you will hear हैं at the end. You will also learn that verbs and some nouns change in the plural so that will be hints between them. I think that they are always written like यह/ वह in singual and ये/वे in the plural. I hope this post makes sense :P
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”