[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Small translation from Hindi to English - UniLang

Small translation from Hindi to English

Moderator: Meera

samarqand

Small translation from Hindi to English

Postby samarqand » 2014-10-26, 8:25

Hi everyone, I haven't been here for a while!

I've tried searching on the internet but to no avail... I'd love to get the translation of these song lyrics. They are from the song "Fabric" by Midival Punditz, featured in the fantastic film Monsoon Wedding.

Here are the lyrics as given by the poster of the YouTube video:
Aja saawariya
Tohe garva laga doon
Ras ke bhare
Tore nain

Can anyone help? Dhanyavad! :)
.............Fluent in: Australian English (en-au)
.............Learning: Uzbek (uz)
......Knowledge of: German (de), Hindi (hi)
......Fascinated by: Russian (ru), Arabic (ar), Spanish (es), Turkic languages (Uyghur (ug),Kyrgyz (ky),Turkish (tr))

Imran520

Re: Small translation from Hindi to English

Postby Imran520 » 2014-11-10, 7:57

Google translator is best for it.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-11-14, 0:11

samarqand wrote:Hi everyone, I haven't been here for a while!

I've tried searching on the internet but to no avail... I'd love to get the translation of these song lyrics. They are from the song "Fabric" by Midival Punditz, featured in the fantastic film Monsoon Wedding.

Here are the lyrics as given by the poster of the YouTube video:
Aja saawariya
Tohe garva laga doon
Ras ke bhare
Tore nain

Can anyone help? Dhanyavad! :)

Namaste Samarqand, sorry I haven't been on I have been cramming fro exams. Saawariya is hard word it means something like "beloved" or something like "my love" and aja means come. Ras ke bhare tore nain means "Your eyes are full of sweet syrup". I also thought ras meant juice though so maybe this is trying to sound poetic.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2014-12-06, 13:19

@Imran - tried that ;) Google Translate does not work very well with Hindi words, I find. Especially these ones... I'm not so sure if they're a particular dialect.

Meera wrote:Namaste Samarqand, sorry I haven't been on I have been cramming fro exams. Saawariya is hard word it means something like "beloved" or something like "my love" and aja means come. Ras ke bhare tore nain means "Your eyes are full of sweet syrup". I also thought ras meant juice though so maybe this is trying to sound poetic.

Namaste, Meera! No worries, better late than never :)

Thank you for that! I read at another website the first sentence meant 'come my beloved' so I would say you're on the right track. Ooooh, that's a great line! That's what I love about Hindi/Urdu... so poetic.

No idea on the second line... I just love the song, and it fits perfectly with the film. If you haven't seen it, you should :)

Thank you again!
......Fascinated by: Russian (ru), Arabic (ar), Spanish (es), Turkic languages (Uyghur (ug),Kyrgyz (ky),Turkish (tr))

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-12-06, 14:02

I think "tohe garva laga doon" could be something like "I'll make you proud". And yes, these lyrics are not in standard Hindi, though I'm not sure which dialect - "tore" for "tere" and "nain" for "ankh" are common to many Hindi regional dialects.
Tracking my progress here. Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-12-06, 20:54

samarqand wrote:@Imran - tried that ;) Google Translate does not work very well with Hindi words, I find. Especially these ones... I'm not so sure if they're a particular dialect.

Meera wrote:Namaste Samarqand, sorry I haven't been on I have been cramming fro exams. Saawariya is hard word it means something like "beloved" or something like "my love" and aja means come. Ras ke bhare tore nain means "Your eyes are full of sweet syrup". I also thought ras meant juice though so maybe this is trying to sound poetic.

Namaste, Meera! No worries, better late than never :)

Thank you for that! I read at another website the first sentence meant 'come my beloved' so I would say you're on the right track. Ooooh, that's a great line! That's what I love about Hindi/Urdu... so poetic.

No idea on the second line... I just love the song, and it fits perfectly with the film. If you haven't seen it, you should :)

Thank you again!

No problem :) Sorry about the second line but as Eskandar said it is not standard Hindi. The song itself is from a 1978 film called Gaman. This is the original song if you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsvjOaY178
अहिंसा

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2014-12-11, 6:28

eskandar wrote:I think "tohe garva laga doon" could be something like "I'll make you proud". And yes, these lyrics are not in standard Hindi, though I'm not sure which dialect - "tore" for "tere" and "nain" for "ankh" are common to many Hindi regional dialects.

Oooh I didn't even realise those alterations, very interesting! Thanks :)

Meera wrote:No problem :) Sorry about the second line but as Eskandar said it is not standard Hindi. The song itself is from a 1978 film called Gaman. This is the original song if you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsvjOaY178

No worries - what's funny is that the link you gave me actually has the lyrics.... There are English subtitles! Go to 3:45, it has them lining up better than in the beginning.

It says:
"Come my beloved
I long for your embrace
Your eyes are filled with love"

So you guys weren't really that far off ;) Thanks so much!!

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-12-11, 19:27

I didn't even realize it had the lyrics at first :P Awesome!! :mrgreen:
अहिंसा

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”