[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
please help to define language and meaning - UniLang

please help to define language and meaning

Moderator: Meera

aoreinbow

please help to define language and meaning

Postby aoreinbow » 2014-10-31, 19:15

Good day! I'm a museum restorer and trying to define the age and origin of one thing (a hand mill). As it has some prints (picture added), any info will be appreciated. Yet, as I have no idea about hindi, it can have no relation to this group of languages, just similarity of print to language signs. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: please help to define language and meaning

Postby eskandar » 2014-11-01, 15:35

It's not Hindi. This is Arabic script, but I don't recognize the word written, so it could be Arabic, Ottoman Turkish, Persian, Urdu, or any of a number of other languages written with the Arabic script. If you have any other information about the artifact, or (better yet) any other pictures of other writing from it, I might be able to tell you more.
Tracking my progress here. Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-11-01, 21:02

As Eskander said it is definitely not Hindi. I'm not sure of the word either though :( Do you know what country the object is from?
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

aoreinbow

Postby aoreinbow » 2014-11-02, 18:50

Meera wrote:As Eskander said it is definitely not Hindi. I'm not sure of the word either though :( Do you know what country the object is from?

thanks for the answer, Meera, I don't know it yet, but after your answers I started to search for it at the Middle East and Caucasus region and found that such things were produced at least in Georgia, Armenia and Turkey. The problem is that the sign at the photo doesn't belong to the mill that I restored, as my mill doesn't have any marks at all, but at our black archeology site I found analogue absolutely similar to my one and that has that Arabic sign. So, I decided that if I find the origin of that mill, this will automatically give me the answer about my one. Yet, as different countries did it, I will hardly find exact origin of my mill, but it is just curious why there is Arabic stamp at the other mill and what it means.

aoreinbow

Postby aoreinbow » 2014-11-02, 19:07

eskandar wrote:It's not Hindi. This is Arabic script, but I don't recognize the word written, so it could be Arabic, Ottoman Turkish, Persian, Urdu, or any of a number of other languages written with the Arabic script. If you have any other information about the artifact, or (better yet) any other pictures of other writing from it, I might be able to tell you more.

thank you for answer, Eskandar, I wrote some more things to Meera below (as for possible origin), that sign is the only one that has the hand-mill. I attached the whole part with the pattern. You are right, it's Arabic script, maybe Farsi or around there in Iran.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-11-02, 20:08

As best as I can tell, the word is اوخاس though I have no idea what the word means or even what language it is (though since you mentioned Georgia, Armenia, and Turkey, it may well be Ottoman Turkish, which was once the written language of all three of those countries).
Tracking my progress here. Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Imran520

Postby Imran520 » 2014-11-10, 7:55

I think, it is Persian language.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-11-14, 0:13

aoreinbow wrote:
Meera wrote:As Eskander said it is definitely not Hindi. I'm not sure of the word either though :( Do you know what country the object is from?

thanks for the answer, Meera, I don't know it yet, but after your answers I started to search for it at the Middle East and Caucasus region and found that such things were produced at least in Georgia, Armenia and Turkey. The problem is that the sign at the photo doesn't belong to the mill that I restored, as my mill doesn't have any marks at all, but at our black archeology site I found analogue absolutely similar to my one and that has that Arabic sign. So, I decided that if I find the origin of that mill, this will automatically give me the answer about my one. Yet, as different countries did it, I will hardly find exact origin of my mill, but it is just curious why there is Arabic stamp at the other mill and what it means.

If it was found in Turkey it might be a good chance it is Ottoman Turkish.
अहिंसा

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2014-11-14, 0:15

eskandar wrote:As best as I can tell, the word is اوخاس though I have no idea what the word means or even what language it is (though since you mentioned Georgia, Armenia, and Turkey, it may well be Ottoman Turkish, which was once the written language of all three of those countries).

Sorry Eskandar, I just saw your reply but I agree :P
अहिंसा

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”