[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Learning Persian in Tajikistan - UniLang

Learning Persian in Tajikistan

Moderator: eskandar

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Learning Persian in Tajikistan

Postby eskandar » 2007-07-30, 6:05

I want to study Persian in a Persian-speaking country for a year. As Afghanistan's out of the question and I can't get a grant to go to Iran, Tajikistan looks like my only choice. I am Iranian-American and have spent the past year and a half learning Tehrani Persian. My goal is to go study the language for a year, then return and pursue a Master's in Iranian Studies or Middle Eastern Studies focusing on Iran.

I have somewhat of an idea of how different Tajiki and Tehrani Persian are, but my question is, would studying in Tajikistan greatly help me in my goal of learning Tehrani Persian? Would it set me back at all? What are your thoughts on this idea?

Also, does anyone have any resources or insight into the specific ways Tajiki has been influenced by Russian and Uzbek?

nicofr

Re: Learning Persian in Tajikistan

Postby nicofr » 2007-07-30, 6:55

eskandar wrote:Also, does anyone have any resources or insight into the specific ways Tajiki has been influenced by Russian and Uzbek?

I don't know much about it, just that tadjik borowed many word from russian to form modern vocabulary, like samaliot (plane), vokzal (train station), benzin ('essence'), shina (tire), poezd (train) and so on ... my book doesn't talk about borowing from Uzbek.

Instead of Tadjikistan, maybe you could consdier going in some southern regions of Uzbekistan (specialy in Boukhara) where the population is mainly Tadjik?

poppy

Postby poppy » 2007-07-30, 10:51

for Iran, have you heard of the Rotary club scholarship? my friend had it and studied abroad for one year. Iran is not listed but it says:

"If you are interested in studying a foreign language not listed, you may contact your Rotary district scholarships subcommittee chairperson to discuss submitting a proposal for consideration by the Trustees of The Rotary Foundation."

http://www.rotary.org/foundation/educational/amb_scho/

perhaps you already thought about it, but another option might be working or combing work and study. if you hold an Iranian passport, the fees for the Dehkhoda Institute are lower, so if you could stay with family and do some part-time work maybe it would be possible.

I'm also interested in doing the same thing so i'm thinking about the same questions.

also, you could contact the embassy, petelin said he found a scholarhip that way.

poppy

Postby poppy » 2007-07-30, 11:46

i searched a bit more, and i found an article in the Iran Daily describing lots of scholarhips from the Iranian Government:

http://www.iran-daily.com/1385/2648/html/focus.htm

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-07-30, 18:51

Dear Eskandar

After Tajikistan was separated from Iran, Russians imposed their culture in the region which resulted in Persian to be written in Cyrillic alphabet there. I think it's an important thing that you should consider. They don't write Persian in our script (Perso-Arabic) and I think they teach you Persian in Cyrillic alphabet (the same alphabet in which Russian is written). As far as I know, there are attempts to restore Perso-Arabic script but God knows how much it takes (if ever).

There are notable differences in the spoken form of Iranian and Tajiki Persian (in pronunciation, vocabulary, some tenses, etc.).

There must be a way for you to be able to come here. You're Iranian anyway and I expect it to be helpful.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2007-07-30, 19:12

nicofr wrote:Instead of Tadjikistan, maybe you could consdier going in some southern regions of Uzbekistan (specialy in Boukhara) where the population is mainly Tadjik?

What would the advantage be for going to Uzbekistan? I want to go to Tajikistan to take Persian classes at university, and be immersed in a culture where everyone speaks Persian (even if it is a distinct dialect). I would assume that in Uzbekistan, they wouldn't have university courses for English speakers to learn Persian, and that even in the southern regions there would be many Uzbek speakers mixed with the Tajiki speakers.

poppy wrote:perhaps you already thought about it, but another option might be working or combing work and study. if you hold an Iranian passport, the fees for the Dehkhoda Institute are lower, so if you could stay with family and do some part-time work maybe it would be possible.

Unfortunately, I don't have an Iranian passport, and nearly all of my family has left Iran. Thanks very much for your suggestions, though. I'm going to look into those scholarships. I really hope that I can make something work and be able to go to Iran, and I wish you the best of luck as well!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2007-07-30, 19:18

alijsh wrote:After Tajikistan was separated from Iran, Russians imposed their culture in the region which resulted in Persian to be written in Cyrillic alphabet there. I think it's an important thing that you should consider. They don't write Persian in our script (Perso-Arabic) and I think they teach you Persian in Cyrillic alphabet (the same alphabet in which Russian is written). As far as I know, there are attempts to restore Perso-Arabic script but God knows how much it takes (if ever).

Yes, I'm aware that Tajiki is written in Cyrillic. I can read Cyrillic (in some cases, it's even easier for me to read than Perso-Arabic script). However, that is one of the things I was worried about. I would really like to improve my reading skills, and I'm afraid I won't have as much of an opportunity to get better at reading Naskh and Nasta'liq in Tajikistan.

There are notable differences in the spoken form of Iranian and Tajiki Persian (in pronunciation, vocabulary, some tenses, etc.).

I have listened to some Tajiki music and heard some recorded Tajiki speech, and it didn't seem to be extremely different to me, but I've only had a little exposure and of course mine is an outsider's perspective. What do you think; how well do you understand Tajiki Persian, and do you think it would help me or hurt me to study there?

There must be a way for you to be able to come here. You're Iranian anyway and I expect it to be helpful.

I hope so. The problem is not so much being able to come to Iran, as it is getting a grant to study in Iran. I'm a student, so I don't have much money and I want some organization to pay me to travel/study :lol: But perhaps I can find a way to get a grant for Iran, inshallah.

daristani

Postby daristani » 2007-08-02, 15:59

If you're interested in the way Uzbek has impacted Tajik grammar, you should look for the book "Loan Syntax in Turkic and Iranian", by John Soper, which deals specifically with the substantial Uzbek influence on the Tajik verbal system (and also deals with Persian influence on Qashqai.)

Also, there's a very extensive grammar of Tajik by John R. Perry, entitled "A Tajik Persian Reference Grammar", which is quite expensive but excellent. You can look inside it on Amazon.com.

Finally, Dunwoody Press publishes a large, Tajik-to-English dictionary (no English-to-Tajik, though), which you might get if you do end up going to Tajikistan.

0stsee

Tajikistan

Postby 0stsee » 2007-08-28, 20:08

Hej Eskandar!

Did you go to Tajikistan?

I am interested in the Persian language itself, so it wouldn't matter to me learning it in Cyrillic.

It's just that, for me here, the most resources to learn the language come from Iran, plus I have friends from Iran, which is why I'm learning Iran Persian.

For the sake of the language itself I wouldn't mind using Cyrillic.

MarK

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2007-08-28, 23:14

Thanks for the recommendations, daristani!

0stsee, I am planning on going to Tajikistan around June 2008, if possible. I am also learning Iranian Persian, not just because most of the good resources out there are for Iranian Persian, but because I am Iranian :D I prefer to practice reading in the Perso-Arabic script, but I don't mind Cyrillic so much either. It just takes a little getting used to.

Gomrah

Postby Gomrah » 2015-01-08, 19:16

Hello Eskandar!

Just came across this thread and got very curious. Have you eventually made it to Tajikistan?
تاجيكستان تاجيكستان
من از تو ثروت نميخاهم
وطن هستي بس است
با خس و خارت برابر
زندگي كردن بس است

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-01-08, 23:08

سلام آقای ظفر. نه، آخرش نرفتم تاجیکستان به این خاطر که هدفم در واقع رفتن به ایران بود و بعد از مدتی تونستم برم ایران. ولی تاجیکستان کشور جالبیه و دوست دارم یه روز برم ببینم.

راستی جسارتاً نظمی که واسه «signature» گذاشتی یه اشتباه املائی داره: باید «نمیخواهم» نوشته باشه نه «نمیخاهم».
Tracking my progress here. Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”