[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Short questions - Page 110 - UniLang

Short questions

Moderator: eskandar

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Short questions

Postby Meera » 2013-06-05, 3:41

Oh I thought it was chesm like the word for eye, but I was confused because I never heard it to mean "okay" before. lol
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2013-06-05, 7:03

Generally they are pronounced slightly differently, at least in Tehrani Persian:

cheshm: eye (pronounced chashm in classical Persian as well as some modern dialects)

chashm / be chashm / be ru-ye chashm: OK, all right

The latter has preserved the somewhat archaic pronunciation of the word for "eye" because it's originally from the idiom "on my eyes!" which means "OK, of course I will do it!" Compare with Arabic علی عیني which has the same literal and figurative meaning.
Tracking my progress here. Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-06-05, 7:11

Motershakeram Eskander and Limagne! :)
अहिंसा

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-06-17, 18:55

Hi, I've a quick question. I've been using this site to learn a bit about Persian grammar and pick up some vocab. I think the site is excellent, it uses transcription with most of the words on the site, and I intend to continue using it until I've exhausted what it can teach me. However, I really don't like the Persian script, and I've decided that I'd like to learn Tajik instead as it just easier for me to read the Cyrillic. My question is; how much of what I learn on the Persian site will be useless when I start Tajik? Will I have to relearn a lot of stuff? The site only really covers the basics, so I thought it might be okay, but are there any really basic major differences between the grammars of Tajik and (Iranian) Persian? Thanks in advance for any responses!
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

Set

Postby Set » 2013-06-17, 19:57

There aren't really any major grammatical differences as far as I know, it's mostly in terms of pronunciation (and thus spelling) and a few vocabulary differences, some quite fundamental. That said, if you can read Persian and Cyrillic you can read Tajiki, don't know if it works as easily the other way round, mainly because Cyrillic is easier than Perso-Arabic script.
Native: (en) Good: (de) (ca) Focusing on: (fa) (ku) (ps) Interested in: (zza) (tr) (sw)

ego

Postby ego » 2013-06-17, 22:56

Does anyone know if these two names are Persian or Armenian or smth else? I mean, does someone who bears them belong to a particular nationality?

Armin

Pouria

Thanks!

abbasfirnas

Postby abbasfirnas » 2013-06-23, 13:23

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether anyone knows of any freely available online videos in Persian with Persian subtitles - it could be films, documentaries, or anything else. Apologies if the question has already been asked before, and thanks in advance.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2013-07-10, 8:25

ego wrote:Does anyone know if these two names are Persian or Armenian or smth else? I mean, does someone who bears them belong to a particular nationality?

Armin

Pouria

Thanks!

Both are Iranian names. I don't think Armenians would use such names

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-08-08, 0:54

Hey guys, sorry this is kind of a stupid question but I was curious. I know there are sizable communites of Persian speakers in Bahrain, Iraq and UAE and some other Arab countries. I was wondering when they speak Persian does it have an Arab accent like how some Persian's in USA have an English accent?
अहिंसा

doost

Postby doost » 2013-10-03, 6:05

Meera wrote:Hey guys, sorry this is kind of a stupid question but I was curious. I know there are sizable communites of Persian speakers in Bahrain, Iraq and UAE and some other Arab countries. I was wondering when they speak Persian does it have an Arab accent like how some Persian's in USA have an English accent?

That depends on their origin or wether they are Persian immigrants or how much they have lived there and used Persian, for example most Arabs living in south and southwest of Iran and speak Persian besides Arabic, have Arabic accent when speak Persian.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-10-04, 19:32

Thank you Doost!

Sorry I have another weird question. Does the word "baadmash" have a meaning in Persian? It means naughty/villianious in Hindi/Urdu and I was wondering if the orgin is Persian. Motershakeram!
अहिंसा

doost

Postby doost » 2013-10-05, 4:23

Meera wrote:Thank you Doost!

Sorry I have another weird question. Does the word "baadmash" have a meaning in Persian? It means naughty/villianious in Hindi/Urdu and I was wondering if the orgin is Persian. Motershakeram!

I searched online and got baadmash-> badmaash(بد معاش)(bad+ma'āsh), so it is from Persian bad 'evil' + Arabic ma'āsh 'means of livelihood'.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/defini ... sh/badmash
There is 'badmanesh' (bad+manesh) بد منش for naughty in Persian.(and other synonyms that start with 'bad'+)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-10-05, 6:02

doost wrote:
Meera wrote:Thank you Doost!

I searched online and got baadmash-> badmaash(بد معاش)(bad+ma'āsh), so it is from Persian bad 'evil' + Arabic ma'āsh 'means of livelihood'.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/defini ... sh/badmash
There is 'badmanesh' (bad+manesh) بد منش for naughty in Persian.(and other synonyms that start with 'bad'+)

Thanks a lot again, doost! I was curious because it sounded a lot like a Persian word. Kheli motershakeram :D
अहिंसा

Skik

Postby Skik » 2013-10-15, 14:33

Hi,

question about basic.

I thought I'm already more advanced than that, but I found a new book and it made me confused.

Saying my, your etc, for example my book. Two versions.

Ketabam and ketab-e man.

I'm guessing both are correct, but why these differences and which should I use?

Found few more differences depending of resource like one says that words order in sentence is important, and second says that important is only to put subject at the beginning and verb at the end, rest doesn't matter, or found, in one book, a lot of sentences with shoma with hastin and not hastid - don't know why.
Persian doesn't seem so hard but this makes it very annoying to learn without someone to explain when you don't know if both versions are correct or which should you use.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2013-10-16, 1:48

Skik wrote:Hi,

question about basic.

I thought I'm already more advanced than that, but I found a new book and it made me confused.

Ketabam and ketab-e man.

I'm guessing both are correct, but why these differences and which should I use?

They both mean the same thing. I just think one is more formal than other. It's kind of like contractions in English, for example "I am" and "I'm" mean the same thing and are both gramatically correct.
अहिंसा

Shahab

Postby Shahab » 2013-10-18, 13:25

Skik wrote:Found few more differences depending of resource like one says that words order in sentence is important, and second says that important is only to put subject at the beginning and verb at the end, rest doesn't matter, or found, in one book, a lot of sentences with shoma with hastin and not hastid - don't know why.
Persian doesn't seem so hard but this makes it very annoying to learn without someone to explain when you don't know if both versions are correct or which should you use.

I can help you Skik, Can you tell me an example about that? I didn't understand your problem. :wink:

Set

Postby Set » 2013-11-03, 8:09

I was thinking the other day that the present form of 'to have' in Persian could have developed from an adjectival form, such as:
man qalam-dar am (I am possessing-pen)

Does anyone know if there is anything to this?
Last edited by Set on 2013-11-13, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Native: (en) Good: (de) (ca) Focusing on: (fa) (ku) (ps) Interested in: (zza) (tr) (sw)

vsg24

Postby vsg24 » 2013-11-13, 17:55

Skik wrote:Hi,

question about basic.

Ketabam and ketab-e man.

You're guessing right. they are both the same. but the second one is formal way.
چه مهمانان بی دردسری هستند مردگان. نه به دستی ظرفی را چرک میکنند. نه به حرفی دلی را آلوده. تنها به شمعی قانعند و اندکی سکوت...

و خدایی که در این نزدیکی است...

Zahra.shah123

بعرصه meaning.

Postby Zahra.shah123 » 2013-11-14, 15:24

Please tell me the meaning of بعرصه as I cannot find it in any dictionary or translation software!

Set

Postby Set » 2013-11-14, 16:20

Are you sure it isn't به عرصه ? Sometimes they write the 'be' joined to the following word, like in بعنوان

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”