[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
Ukrainian Untranslatable Phrases - UniLang

Ukrainian Untranslatable Phrases

TashaRo88

Ukrainian Untranslatable Phrases

Postby TashaRo88 » 2011-02-05, 21:30

Hi, I am a second Generation Ukrainian-American who is currently working on an assignment for University. I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me some phrases in Ukrainian that do not translate into English well.

If you could write in the Ukrainian alphabet, that would be helpful. Thanks!

Natasha

TashaRo88

Re: Ukrainian Untranslatable Phrases

Postby TashaRo88 » 2011-09-14, 2:24

Seriously? Nobody can help me? :cry:

Obi-Wan

Postby Obi-Wan » 2011-09-14, 3:05

«Хай йому грець!»

TashaRo88

Postby TashaRo88 » 2011-09-15, 22:36

Obi-Wan wrote:«Хай йому грець!»

Hey Obi-Wan, could you maybe translate this for me and give a brief explanation of what the phrase signifies in Ukrainian? What I came up with when I searched was "Let it Greek!" but, this does not make much sense in English(which it shouldn't), but knowing the significance would be nice.

Thanks!

Natasha

Obi-Wan

Postby Obi-Wan » 2011-09-15, 23:33

TashaRo88 wrote:Hey Obi-Wan, could you maybe translate this for me and give a brief explanation of what the phrase signifies in Ukrainian? What I came up with when I searched was "Let it Greek!" but, this does not make much sense in English(which it shouldn't), but knowing the significance would be nice.

Literally it means «May it have a stroke». Depending on the context, it can have various meanings:
- To hell with that!
- Damn it!
- Blast him!
- It's not worth mentioning (let's change the topic)

It can be applied to a thing, situation or a human being (хай йому/їй́/їм грець).

TashaRo88

Postby TashaRo88 » 2011-09-16, 0:25

Obi-Wan wrote:
TashaRo88 wrote:Hey Obi-Wan, could you maybe translate this for me and give a brief explanation of what the phrase signifies in Ukrainian? What I came up with when I searched was "Let it Greek!" but, this does not make much sense in English(which it shouldn't), but knowing the significance would be nice.

Literally it means «May it have a stroke». Depending on the context, it can have various meanings:
- To hell with that!
- Damn it!
- Blast him!
- It's not worth mentioning (let's change the topic)

It can be applied to a thing, situation or a human being (хай йому/їй́/їм грець).

Thank you! :D

Return to “Ukrainian (Українська)”