[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The Random Phonology Thread - UniLang

The Random Phonology Thread

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

ronin319

The Random Phonology Thread

Postby ronin319 » 2011-04-08, 16:39

Sometimes, I have random little ideas for phonologies that I'm never gonna make into a conlang that pop into my head. I'm sure others do as well. I think it's a good idea to have a place where one can post these ideas to get feedback, but without making a whole new thread for the purpose.

So post those ideas here!

ronin319

Re: The Random Phonology Thread

Postby ronin319 » 2011-04-08, 16:48

Something I came up with recently:

Consonants:
/p b t d k ts f s z ɣ m n ŋ l j w/

Vowels:
/i e a u o ə/

Syllable structures:
(C)(G)V(V)(C)

VV combinations- /ei eu ou ai/, /eu/ is realized [øy]
GV cooccurence- /je ja ju jo jə/, /wi we wa wo wə/

Final C- /m n ŋ/ (only occur word finally) and only after a single vowel.

Roots are generally one or two syllables. No medial clusters. Syllables without initial consonant or glide insert a glottal stop. The labio-dental fricative /f/ does not occur before /i/. The glottal fricative and the voiced velar fricative merge to /ɣ/ between vowels. Before /i/ and /j/ the sibilants are palatalized to [tɕ ɕ ʑ]. The affricate /ts/ > [θ] / _w.

Probably going to be pretty isolating if I ever work on it.

ronin319

Postby ronin319 » 2011-04-08, 16:53

Another little thing I came up with a while back:

/p b t̪ t d k kʷ s h m n l r ʍ/ p b th t d k kw s h m n l r w
/i u e o a ai ui ə/ i u e o a ai ui è

(C)(i)V syllable structure
/i/ > [j] / _V
/ii/ > /i/

There must be at least the glide /j/ in the onsets of non-initial syllables, though vowels may begin words. The voiced stops /b d/ only occur medially. Medially, there may be nasal + /p t̪ t k kʷ s/ clusters and s + /p t̪ t k kʷ/ clusters. Word finally /t ts n s l/ occur word finally. The dental stop /t̪/ may be affricated to [t̪θ] or spirantized to [θ] word initially. The vowel /e/ is in free variation between [e] ~ [ɛ]. The schwa only occurs in final syllables. Some words:

ronin319

Postby ronin319 » 2011-04-08, 22:36

Something tiny:

/t k ʔ m n ŋ s h v ɾ a i u o/

Majority CV syllables, with a few exceptions. A few consonant clusters: /ts ks ns hɾ hv/. Only /ts ks/ may occur word initially, all other must occur after a vowel. Word finally, you can get /n t k/. The vowel /o/ only occurs adjacent to /k/, elsehwere it has merged with [u]. The glottal stop occurs initially and between vowels, but when between two vowels, the vowels on either side must be identical.

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2011-04-19, 6:22

*Random; just messing around, to get a good feel of sounds I like xD*

After learning and learning, I realized "You never truly learn without trying" so if it needs majoring improving, I will know what I need to read up on(more than now). :-D *Please be kind. First one * :oops:

Consonants:

/p t k tʃ ç ŋ n ɱ ts h ð b d ɕ s/ <p t k ch č ng n m ts h th b d sh s>
(Hopefully I didn't overload it)

Vowels:

/i e a ɔː ʊ/

(Hopefully I formatted this okay...)

Advice, suggestions, help, "hey idiot, you did/forgot *insert here*" would be welcomed! :D
SAVE THE WOLVES! SIGN THE PETITION! ENDANGERED LANGUAGES PROJECT!
Kaylee - NAILC - Lakȟotiyapi
Learning:lkt (lkt) Next: ru (ru) af (af) bo (bo) ar (ar) cy (cy)/gd (gd)

Thanks to hashi, ronin319, razlem, johntm, Lenguas, jake12,Milya0 and YngNghymru for literally teaching me from nothing, to something big! Thank you guys so much!

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2011-04-19, 12:47

Trying to invent a phonology for another con-dialect of Miwonša

Miwonša consonants:
p p' t t' c c' k k'
f s z ʃ ʒ ɕ h
m n ɲ
l ɬ ʎ
w j
r
ts tɬ tʃ tʃ'

Sound changes

ʃ ʒ > χ ʁ
ɬ > ɫ
ɕ > ɬ
l > ɮ
p' t' k' > px tx kx
c c' č c' = ts tsx
ɲ, ʎ > n l

Vowel changes after the loss of ejectives:
i > y
e > ə
ɑ > æ

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2011-04-20, 4:26

Updated chart. Some people (Ossicone & xinda :)) helped me out with it. xD

Consonants:

Code: Select all

Lab   Dent   Alv   Pal-Alv Pal   Vel   Glot
Nasal      m            n                   ŋ
Plosive    p b          t d     tɕ         k g
Affric                  ts       
Fric        ɸ    θ      s     ɕ        ç          h
Approx                                 j    w

Hm, should I add /l/ /ɻ/? And um, /j/ is a bit confusing. I want /j/ there and I also want /y/ as well and I know that /y/ is front high rounded vowel. What do I do? :cry:

Vowels:

I need some help/suggestions on the vowels, guys. :(
I picked /ʊ/ for /u/, but I'm not sure how to represent that sound without doubling up the /o/. I'm not sure whether to use 'ô' or 'ō' to represent the /ʊ/ in transliteration. Or should I use "û" or "ū". I like "ô", but what do you think?

/a i e o ʊ/ <a i e o ō > ( “ō” is said “foot”)

Thanks to hashi, ronin319, razlem, johntm, Lenguas, jake12,Milya0 and YngNghymru for literally teaching me from nothing, to something big! Thank you guys so much!

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2011-04-20, 5:55

Well of course it's your decision how your phonology looks like, but it's quite a universal that most languages have either <l (ɫ ɮ) > or <r (ɹ ɾ ɽ ɻ ʀ ʁ)> or both sounds in their consonant system.
In my opinion, the sound combination /jy/ is quite easy to pronounce. Many Germanic languages have both sounds and there is no problem to combine them.
However, there is another thing that problably wouldn't be stable if your conlang was spoken by real people. [ɕ] and [ç] sound so similar that many people would probably merge the sounds or pronounce one of the two sounds [ʃ] or [ʂ] so that the difference is clearer.

About your vowel question:
I'm not sure if I understand your vowel question correctly. When you have five phonemes /a e i o ʊ/, why shouldn't you use the letter <u> or /ʊ/ if this letter is not used for anything else?
In my opinion it doesn't make sence to use letters with diacritics when you could also use regular letters without them?
Or did you want to say that /ʊ/ is problematic because it almost sounds like [o]? The solution would be to make /o/ a little more open (/ɔ/), to use /ɯ/ (then they'd be more distinguishable again), or to use vowel length (for example: /ʊ/ vs /o:/)

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2011-04-20, 6:33

Ah, thank you for answering, Plusquamperfekt! :blush:

I was thinking about changing /ç/, but I'm not sure with what. Possible just a c, but... :hmm:
Okay then, I shall add /l/ and /r (ɹ ɾ ɽ ɻ ʀ ʁ)/ :mrgreen:

How is this?

Plosive    p b          t d     tɕ         k g
Fric        ɸ    θ      s     ɕ        ç          h
Approx                  ɹ              j    w
Lateral                 l

Or would my /l/ be in Approx under Alv?
@vowel:
Oh yes, I thought it would be a problem because the phone sounds much like /o/, so I thought I had to represent the phone another way. So I should replace /o/ with /ɯ/ (or /ɔ/?)

/o:/? What is used in transliteration then?

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2011-04-20, 6:50

Solution one:
/a e i ɔ ʊ/ or

Solution two:
/a e i o ɯ/

Solution three:
/a e: i o: ʊ/

All three vowel systems could be perfectly represented by the letters <a, e, i, o, u>

Just one thing about symmetry: If you have [ʊ], I'd probably use [ɪ] instead of [i] and if you have [ɔ] I'd rather use [ɛ] instead of [e] - although even natural languages are not that symmetrical either ;)

Partisan

Postby Partisan » 2011-04-20, 7:00

I'm preparing a new conlang and I probably shall use (by a transliteration, because I want use a conalphabet):

Consonants: B/b/ C/ʃ/ D/d/ F/f/ G/g/ H/h/ K/k/ L/l/ M/m/ N/n/ P/p/ R/r/ S/s/ T/t/

Vowels: A/a/ Ā/ɔ/ E/e/ Ē/ɛ/ I/i or j/ Ī/y or ɥ/ O/o/ Ō/ø/ U/u or w/ Ū/ɯ or ɥ/

Aberacht

Postby Aberacht » 2011-04-20, 10:46

Hello! Could I have a brief critique of my phonology? I realize that as a conlang, it can be anything I want it to be, but I was wondering if there were any glaring irregularities. Also, I am curious to know if I have successfully struck a balance; I wanted to create a phonology which would sound a bit familiar to an Anglo-Germanic ear, but also quite foreign.

Thanks!
★★★★ Image ★★ ImageImageImage Image

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2011-04-20, 17:48

*I did post last night, but I guess it didn't go through >.>*

Thank you, Plusquamperfekt, I really appreciate the help/suggestions. I think I will go with Solution 1 :)

Consonants:

Plosive    p b          t d     tɕ          k g
Fric        ɸ     θ     s        ɕ     ç           h
Approx                  l              j     w

Vowels:

/a e i ɔ ʊ/ <a e i o u>

Dipthongs:
(I think I like these Diphthongs :hmm: )
ei au ua oa ao

ronin319

Postby ronin319 » 2011-04-20, 18:46

A note on your chart: put both /ts/ and /tɕ/ are affricates, so put them both in that row!

Otherwise, this is actually quite respectable for a first phonology. It's nothing totally ground breaking but it's solid. For my personal taste, the fricatives are a little crowded, but that's really just me. It's just your language.

Also: @Albrecht

Hello! Could I have a brief critique of my phonology?

It looks overall very good to me. Just a question though: can syllables with syllabic consonants have onset consonants?

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2011-04-20, 19:53

(Someone else had organized my chart and said it went there, so I was confused :mrgreen: )

I was thinking about changing /ç/ but I'm not sure to what. Plusquamperfekt pointed it out and I agree, but >.<

(Updated)Consonants:

Plosive    p b          t d                   k g
Affric                  ts      tɕ
Fric        ɸ     θ     s        ɕ     ç           h

Vowels:
/a e i ɔ ʊ/ <a e i o u>

Dipthongs:
ei au ua oa ao

ronin319

Postby ronin319 » 2011-04-20, 19:59

Well, you could change it to /x/ or /χ/, and have the [ç] be an allophone.

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2011-04-20, 20:23

Yep, /ç/ looks unstable here.

And, I made a graphic with your vowel inventory. It seems a bit asymmetrical:
Qroo₃₁ kaa₄ cro₂ kraa₃ kaa₄ qo₄₁ cra₄₁ ka₄ qoo₄₂ krá₄₂.

--
Językoznawstwo, językotwórstwo. Po polsku.

Aberacht

Postby Aberacht » 2011-04-20, 20:42

ronin319 wrote:Also: @Albrecht

Hello! Could I have a brief critique of my phonology?

It looks overall very good to me. Just a question though: can syllables with syllabic consonants have onset consonants?

No, a word with a syllabic consonant (like fwalndat) would be /fwal.n.dat/. Syllabic consonants form the entire syllable.

And thanks for your review!
★★★★ Image ★★ ImageImageImage Image

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2011-04-20, 20:46

Is this better? :mrgreen:

Fric        ɸ     θ     s        ɕ     χ          h

(What do you guys think about adding or replacing something with /ʒ/ or /Z/? )

@Milya0:
What should I do then? I was thinking over my vowels and wanted to add /y/, but I don't want to go even more asymmetrical xD

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2011-04-20, 21:05

Fric        ɸ     θ     s        ɕ     χ          h

Oh, [χ] is not palatal, it's uvular. [x] is velar. But they seem to be displayed here as the same.

(What do you guys think about adding or replacing something with /ʒ/ or /Z/? )

I don't think so. It would have no sense - you have no voiced fricatives nor postalveolar consonants.

Kaylee wrote:What should I do then? I was thinking over my vowels and wanted to add /y/, but I don't want to go even more asymmetrical xD

They are even more asymmetrical in natural languages. :D
Qroo₃₁ kaa₄ cro₂ kraa₃ kaa₄ qo₄₁ cra₄₁ ka₄ qoo₄₂ krá₄₂.

--
Językoznawstwo, językotwórstwo. Po polsku.

Return to “Conlangs”