[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
General Conlang Discussion - Page 26 - UniLang

General Conlang Discussion

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Fox Saint-Just

Re: General Conlang Discussion

Postby Fox Saint-Just » 2015-02-07, 11:56

I'm checking the vocabulary I have made so far for Novbasa and I'm unsure about some words. Generally a word in Novbasa cannot end in two consonants, which is why I generally add an -i or an -e.

Examples: carje (charge), fluksi (stream)

However, I have left out some combinations: alveolar+stop, s+t. Most of these words are monosyllabic and shouldn't be too difficult to pronounce.

Examples: garm (warm), rang (color), fark (different)

Do you think I should add a vowel to these words too?
Native:  (it)  (egl) B2:  (en) Intermediate:  (de)  (fr) Curious about:  (ru)  (hy)  (eu)  (nah)  (ga)  (sr)
 (art) Currently developing Ardlang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=40076.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-02-07, 12:35

Well, if you say fluksi instead of fluks then I don't see why the others should make an exception.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Fox Saint-Just

Postby Fox Saint-Just » 2015-02-07, 12:50

Levike wrote:Well, if you say fluksi instead of fluks then I don't see why the others should make an exception.

Actually I could remove the -i when the ending is vowel+ks.
Native:  (it)  (egl) B2:  (en) Intermediate:  (de)  (fr) Curious about:  (ru)  (hy)  (eu)  (nah)  (ga)  (sr)
 (art) Currently developing Ardlang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=40076.

razlem

Postby razlem » 2015-02-27, 4:03

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think conlangs are starting to take off:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... of-its-own

*cough* I'm mentioned at the end of the article *cough*
"For those language inventors, language was not an enemy to be tamed or reformed, but a muse. And they bowed down before her."
- Arika Okrent

(en-us):: (de):: (es)  (zh):: (cho)  (fi)  (sv)  (ir)
Image Wia wi nehas-kolwatos Angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-02-27, 7:08

Dude, you're like totally famous now. Can I like get your autograph, man? :P
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-28, 2:19

Is it bad that I have had an easier and funner time creating a priori rather than a posteriori romlang?
Known/Learning: (es) (us)
Wanting to Learn( help me with it?): (ru) (fr) (de)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-02-28, 2:24

Your sentence seems a little ambiguous. Do you mean you've made an a priori romlang? I've always understood a romlang as being only a posteriori (derived regularly from Latin or a Romance language), but as long as you are informed about the choices you make while conlanging, you should never have anything to feel bad about.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-28, 2:27

I prefer the a priori route because when basing stuff off of existing languages, I find myself too restricted.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-28, 2:30

Dormouse559 wrote:Your sentence seems a little ambiguous. Do you mean you've made an a priori romlang? I've always understood a romlang as being only a posteriori (derived regularly from Latin or a Romance language), but as long as you are informed about the choices you make while conlanging, you should never have anything to feel bad about.

Well I mean currently I am creating a priori not based on anything, but usually I create posterioris that are based off romance languages mainly.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-02-28, 2:32

Okay, well I stand by my position. Just be conscious of your choices and, as far as I'm concerned, everything will be fine.

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-28, 2:51

Dormouse559 wrote:Okay, well I stand by my position. Just be conscious of your choices and, as far as I'm concerned, everything will be fine.

Yeah. I'm going to give a basic 2 clause sentence with litteral translation (since I don't really understand glossing) and translation and tell me what you think of it.

(ei =/ī/, au = /aʊ/ , ç = /t͡s/, the rest are pronounced more or less as in spanish)
Lo sei-tog-naun diçe laubeso, Lo sei-tog deinum det-seit.
I(nominative) like-present particle-declining the verb these(plural masculine) dogs(plural accusative), I(nominative) like-present particle those(masculine plural) it(it in this language usually is an unknown pronoun, but when you put 'the' (in this case, det) it means it is the exact same object/subject that you used in the sentence already. So it means dog, but you can use it if you do not feel like repeating the noun again (usually for conversations)).
So the sentence translates to: I do not like these dogs, I like those ones.
Last edited by ltrout on 2015-03-01, 23:23, edited 3 times in total.

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2015-02-28, 9:04

You got to use the International Phonetic Alphabet, ltrout.
Your description of sounds are ambiguous; e.g. <ou> could also be like "soup" and I'm there there is a dialect that pronounces <out> like in <boot>
A native of  (en-CA)
Conlang: Image
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-28, 23:31

Ahzoh wrote:You got to use the International Phonetic Alphabet, ltrout.
Your description of sounds are ambiguous; e.g. <ou> could also be like "soup" and I'm there there is a dialect that pronounces <out> like in <boot>

Okay haha I did. I was just to lazy to look at the IPA last night when I posted it. Look now and tell me what you think of it?

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Postby hashi » 2015-02-28, 23:33

ltrout wrote:

Okay haha I did. I was just to lazy to look at the IPA last night when I posted it. Look now and tell me what you think of it?
You need to wrap all IPA in // or [] to show that it is IPA and not just other letters.

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-28, 23:36

hashi wrote:
ltrout wrote:

You need to wrap all IPA in // or [] to show that it is IPA and not just other letters.

Okay. Thanks for correcting that!

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-03-05, 1:50

How should I post my conlang to make it look good? I can never get the tables to work.

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-03-06, 1:46

So I guess no one gets on here much..

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Postby hashi » 2015-03-06, 3:27

ltrout wrote:How should I post my conlang to make it look good? I can never get the tables to work.
However you want ;)

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2015-03-06, 15:28

Is there such a thing like an "inverse dative"? For example, in a construction with the verb "to give" one could have (1) and (2):

(1) I give a present-ACC Maria-DAT

(2) I give Maria-ACC a present-OBL

in which (1) follows a dative structure and (2) follows a secundative structere.

Is something like (3) possible, in which the structure is identical to a secundative structure but the case taken by the object is only found in this construction (and maybe a couple more uncommon roles)?

(3) I give Maria-ACC a present-INVERSE DAT

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-03-06, 21:30

hashi wrote:
ltrout wrote:How should I post my conlang to make it look good? I can never get the tables to work.
However you want ;)

Like what all should I include? And how do I get the tables to show up?

Return to “Conlangs”