[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Ditronó - Page 16 - UniLang

Ditronó

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

linguoboy

Re: Ditróno

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-29, 17:37

So what are you going to do for causatives? (E.g.: "I had my house painted"/"He made me paint the house".)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-04-29, 18:24

I had my house painted => Ditronian: I made my house to be/become painted.

He made me paint the house => Ditronian: He made/put me to paint the house.

This is how those would look like,
sadly I don't have words nor for house, neither for paint.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-04-30, 4:54

Levike wrote:I had my house painted => Ditronian: I made my house to be/become painted.

He made me paint the house => Ditronian: He made/put me to paint the house.

This is how those would look like,
sadly I don't have words neither for house, nor for paint.

You had the two switched. Be careful of this.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-04-30, 16:00

@Koko: Thanks, I had a 50% chance to get it right. :P

Okay, I made up the words to translate those sentences.

Legiviom nektosti mema aja imot piksivos - I had my house painted.
( Lit: I made house of mine that it be painted )

Legiviot mesti aja piksom nektosti - He made me paint the house.
( Lit: He made me that I paint house )

New Vocab:

pikso = paint ( Picasso )
fospos = beautiful ( PhotoShop )
lamom = to spit ( Lamas )
nekto = house ( net-ko = internet-connection)
Because home is where your internet connects automatically.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-08, 19:09

Will it be okay if I make a single word meaning both spirit/ghost and soul?

Are they the same thing?

I was thinking to make the word kaspró from Casper, the friendly ghost.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-05-08, 19:14

Levike wrote:Will it be okay if I make a single word meaning both spirit/ghost and soul?

Yours wouldn't be the only language to collapse that distinction.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

~jakip

Postby ~jakip » 2014-05-08, 19:15

Levike wrote:Will it be okay if I make a single word meaning both spirit/ghost and soul?

Are they the same thing?

I was thinking to make the word kaspró from Casper, the friendly ghost.

It depends on what's your idea about that.
Native: Italiano (it) B2: Español (es) B1: English (en) Español (es-ar) English (au) A1: Română (ro)
Helps are more than welcome!

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-08, 19:43

I don't really have a concrete idea on that, that's why I'm asking. :oops:

In Romanian we have several words and that made me think:

suflet, duh = soul
fantomă, strigoi, nălucă, stafie = ghost
spirit = both soul and ghost

Isn't a ghost just a soul outside the body?

Naava

Postby Naava » 2014-05-10, 12:27

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. At least in Finnish you can use "henki" for (holy) spirit, person, soul, genie, breath and in the expression "being alive", olla hengissä. If the speakers of your language think that a ghost is just a soul without a body, then why not.
native:  (fi)
speaks more or less fluently:  (en)
can talk about weird topics in:  (sv)
learning process started:  (ru) &  (et)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-16, 12:03

I can't really decide on how to make questions like:

Who made this gift?
Where did he go?
What are you playing?
Is that the new season of the show?

Could I just put a word like "question" before the whole sentence and make it okay, like:

Question, the person that made this gift?
Question, the place that you went to?
Question, the game you're playing?
Question, that's the new season of the show?

As always: Does any language do this?

Naava

Postby Naava » 2014-05-16, 16:00

Levike wrote:As always: Does any language do this?

I know very few languages so I might be wrong, but I think you could use that as a prefix. Finnish has a suffix that you can add to almost any word and so turn that word into a question: menet - you go, menetkö - do you go. I guess Japanese had something similar, too.

But I'm suspicious if there's any language without proper questions words such as what, when, why. Though I do sometimes say things like "menetkö minne", which could be thought as "you-go-question where", meaning "where are you going". (So basically leaving the fronting part out and using a suffix instead to mark the sentence as a neutral question.)

By the way, if you were going to use that question+sentence, how would you then ask "who did what" or "you did what"?
native:  (fi)
speaks more or less fluently:  (en)
can talk about weird topics in:  (sv)
learning process started:  (ru) &  (et)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-16, 16:04

Naava wrote:How would you then ask "who did what" or "you did what"?

Who did that = Question, the person that did that?
You did what = Question, the thing that you did?

So I only need to find a word for question?
But I don't know if this were to cause any problems.

Hungarian also has a thing to make sentences into questions. :P

Mentél = You went
Mentél-e = Did you go?

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-05-16, 16:14

Japanese has a sentence final question marker か(ka). It's like say "That person who is question mark." (ano hito wa dare desu ka.)

Perhaps you could Ditronise ka into a sentence initial word.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

SostiMatiko

question marker

Postby SostiMatiko » 2014-05-26, 8:33

many languages have question markers, e.g. Turkic has -mi, Tagalog has -ba, Latin has -ne and so on. In SostiMatiko there is usually no question marker except voice tone; In modern Greek, too: voice tone alone is very explicit to show it is a question.
HOWEVER, if one feels the need for a question marker in SostiMatiko, can add "eita" meaning "or".
e.g. tewo dosi fraso, eita? = "will you answer, or...?"
ॐ भूर् भु॑वः सुवः त॑त् सवितु॑र् व॑रेणियं भ॑र्गो देव॑स्य धीमहि धि॑यो यो॑ नः प्रचोद॑यात्

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-27, 13:57

I think I'm going to use ho, because when people don't know something they go: Huh?

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-05-27, 23:06

I think that it's really creative to make a language derived from onomatopoeia and brands. :)

That's a really good idea, will ho be sentence-initial or -final?

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-28, 15:56

That's one of the things I didn't yet sort out.

I'm also thinking about how to make words like what, where, who.

ho lego / lego ho = what
ho intler / intler ho = who
ho tavro / tavro ho = where

Ho legosti borskiviov? / Legosti ho borskoviov? = What did you drink?

Ho bemviov? / Bemviov ho? = Will you come?

I can't decide which version looks better.
Last edited by Levike on 2014-05-28, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-05-28, 16:12

How bout make it free: you can place it anywhere in a sentence to make a question, but must be beside an interrogative pronoun (before or after).

Then it's up to the speaker's preference on how to say questions.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-28, 16:27

But that would make some ambiguities.

lego = thing
ho = question word
legiviov = you did

Legosti ho legiviov? = What thing did you do? or Did you do the thing?

So I wouldn't know if "ho" refers to the noun "lego" or or the verb "legiviov"?

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-05-28, 18:03

Well, if it was Did you do the thing? it would be implied and most likely "the thing" would be more specific. Also, if it were to be What thing did you do? it would be best not to use "thing" in the construction of what with the question marker for this very reason. I don't know of any language that uses it's question marker with another noun for the five Ws.

Return to “Conlangs”