[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
My conlang so far: Halvian - Page 2 - UniLang

My conlang so far: Halvian

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Mentilliath

Re: My conlang so far: Halvian

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-03-11, 1:31

And I know, right? I love the dual. Such an underrated number. I hate how it often disappears. Why do languages form a dual number only to have it become marginal and then ultimately disappear?
Primary Conlang: Halvian
Additional conlangs: Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the other two).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-11, 3:57

Maybe it disappears because not many things outside of body parts require it? I've made the dual a thing that's very practical: many foods come in pairs, many words whose English equivalents refer to two (couple, both, etc…) are inherently in the dual number, e più.

Have you done something similar?

Btw, I like how your a declension is very thematic.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-03-11, 4:39

I can see why it disappears, but I wonder why it arises in the first place, if its fate is often to disappear.

I've done something similar with the dual in Halvian, yeah. Words like "both" and "two" are inherently dual (like they are in Latin, the last vestige of the dual in that language), and the dual is used for words like "eyes", "ears", "legs", etc.

And yeah, this declension is very thematic. There are 6 declensions. 5 of them are thematic (stems based on the 5 vowels), and one of them is the athematic "miscellaneous" declension, which is also one of the biggest haha. So we'll get to that one ;)
Additional conlangs: Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the other two).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-11, 4:56

Mentilliath wrote:I can see why it disappears, but I wonder why it arises in the first place, if its fate is often to disappear.

Hmm, when it did exist (as it still does in a small handful of languages), I suppose more things came in two? I mean, the word for door in many PIE's descendants have forms reminiscent of its dual, so maybe as less things were paired, so was disappearing the dual.

I've done something similar with the dual in Halvian, yeah. Words like "both" and "two" are inherently dual (like they are in Latin, the last vestige of the dual in that language), and the dual is used for words like "eyes", "ears", "legs", etc.

Latin did something similar? And there was thinking I was being unique >.< I feel as Itikar feels! That's why I like Czech: the dual is still apparent in a num er of words and the adjective "two."

And yeah, this declension is very thematic. There are 6 declensions. 5 of them are thematic (stems based on the 5 vowels), and one of them is the athematic "miscellaneous" declension, which is also one of the biggest haha. So we'll get to that one ;)

Can't wait! Do your declensions usually have an assigned gender? I have various declensions for the sake of variety.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-03-11, 5:14

I read about that "door" thing; that was interesting. Definitely seems to indicate doors were twos.

Slovenian I believe as well has a productive dual. I think as far as IE goes, only a few Slavic languages have duals that are still used.

My declensions don't really have assigned gender, but you can always tell a noun's gender by its nominative and/or genitive form. The declensions have gender tendencies, i.e. most 1st declension nouns are feminine, most 5th declension nouns are masculine. But say, if it is a masculine 1st declension or a neuter 5th declension, you'll be able to tell by the nominative. It isn't like in Latin where "classis" is feminine and "civis" is masculine and the only way to tell the gender is to memorize it.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-11, 5:25

Does -s generally indicate a masculine nominative of declensions not the fifth?

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-03-11, 5:40

-s is a marker of masculine, yeah. -s as an ending in the nominative singular always means masculine.

It can get confusing with the athematics because dos ('flower') is feminine, but it's not do + -s (which would make it masculine), it's dos + ∅.

Return to “Conlangs”