[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
O - Page 2 - UniLang

O

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Re: O

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-23, 13:50

So, I've decided to touch up the spelling a little bit.

The idea of using ƿ instead of t wasn't that great, so from now on I'm going to use t, plus [θ] is represented by tt, [ð] by ht and [t:] by t·t

Also, I didn't like sz and zs that much, so in place of sz I'm going to use hs, and hz in place of zs.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-11-23, 14:58

IpseDixit wrote:evnu
ewni
esmir
Could I ask where did you get your endings from?

I'm curious 'cause they are similar to mine. :)

u --- ur
i ---- if
ir -- er
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-23, 15:09

Levike wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:evnu
ewni
esmir
Could I ask where did you get your endings from?

I'm curious 'cause they are similar to mine. :)

u --- ur
i ---- if
ir -- er

From my mind. For the first one I think I was unconsciouly influenced by Hebrew anakhnu.

What are the subject pronouns of your conlang?

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-23, 15:22

A few more info about O:

-it's a nominative-accusative language
-word order: SVO, but it's quite lax

---

And a bit of grammar

NOUN

-there is no grammatical gender in O.
-there are 4 cases: nominative, genitive, dative, accusative.
-the noun is an invariable part of speech.
-the information about the case, the number, the in/definiteness is brought by particles that precede the noun.

NOMINATIVE PARTICLES

Definite
SingularPlural
i ci

Indefinite
SingularPlural
ti

An example:

i armur - the forest, ci armur - the forests
armur - a forest, ti armur - some forests

GENITIVE PARTICLES

Definite
SingularPlural
wreccre

Indefinite
SingularPlural
rehse

wre armur - of the forest, ccre armur - of the forests
re armur - of a forest, hse armur - of some forests

DATIVE PARTICLES

Definite
SingularPlural
hzarhzas

Indefinite
SingularPlural
hzairhzaur

hzar armur - to the forest, hzas armur - to the forests
hzair armur - to a forest, hzaur armur - to some forests

ACCUSATIVE PARTICLES

Definite
SingularPlural
viimi

Indefinite
SingularPlural
ninimi

for example:

evnu elin vi armur - I see the forest
evnu elin imi armur - I see the forests
evnu elin ni armur - I see a forest
evnu elin nimi armur - I see some forests

[evnu = I (masc.); elin = present of elisi - to see]
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2014-11-23, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-11-23, 15:59

IpseDixit wrote:From my mind. For the first one I think I was unconsciouly influenced by Hebrew anakhnu.

My pronouns don't have gender but the nouns do.

intlurg - man
intlif - woman
intler - person
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-23, 16:20

Levike wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:From my mind. For the first one I think I was unconsciouly influenced by Hebrew anakhnu.

My pronouns don't have gender but the nouns do.

In O it's exactly the opposite. :)

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-23, 16:28

Some prepositions

ru ['ru] - in/inside/at
runni ['run:i] - out /outside
chmi ['xmi] - with
zmi ['ʦmi] - without
vami ['vami] - up / on / above
chami ['xami] - down / under / below
u [u] - for
rinni ['rin:i] - through
onni ['ɔn:i] - between / among

Prepositions require the accusative, e.g:

in the forest = ru vi armur
through the fire = rinni vi wremsi
on the grass = vami vi uhhea
under the sky = chami vi hcemea

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-23, 18:29

Koko wrote:Che bella! La tua lingua artificiale è molto bella

Grazie :blush:

Come tu hai contratto il virus dei conlang?

Penso sia colpa di Unilang :P. Fino a pochi mesi fa non avevo mai preso in considerazione l'idea di crearmi una lingua artificiale, però da qualche mese ho iniziato a pensare che sarebbe stato molto figo inventarmi una mia lingua in cui posso creare le parole che piacciono a me; alla fine ho preso coraggio e mi sono buttato in questa avventura. :)

Do you plan to have any words beginning with long consonants?

Sure. :)

Koko wrote:IPSE!!! You're being a me :partyhat: ! My Isyan is the language spoken on the continent of Isya from the game Fiesta! Your O is spoken on O of the Earthsea archipelago from a series! I'm not the only one who's making a language based in a world not their own (though, I've changed Isya a lot and its culture from the Fiesta Isya, so it is now mine Mwahahaha!!).

The good thing about O-island is that the author of Earthsea says almost nothing about it. So I'm free to invent pretty much everything. :lol:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-23, 20:02

IpseDixit wrote:u [u] - for

In Isyan, -u is singular dative which can be used without "yn" (for). And "u" is at/for in Koko! (< only word I'll share of Koko)

O is full of false cognates ^^ (endings of pronouns similar to Levike's Ditrónian, u = for in yours and mine :P ) I wonder how often this happens with conlangs totally unrelated with each other (me and Fox St. both have the word for tea from the beautifully delicious best tea "chai").

I'm very interested in the verbs and adjectives :mrgreen: Do the verbs inflect for number or person? From the first list of lexycon, I can tell that the adjectives come before the noun unless it's a similar case as Italian.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-23, 20:10

Koko wrote:I'm very interested in the verbs and adjectives :mrgreen: Do the verbs inflect for number or person? From the first list of lexycon, I can tell that the adjectives come before the noun unless it's a similar case as Italian.

The verb inflects just for number, so there are just two forms. I'll talk about O verbs soon. :)

The adjective always come after the noun, e.g:

zlimi rhauch - good morning

zlimi - morning
rhauch - good

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-23, 23:04

Last edited by IpseDixit on 2015-03-19, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-25, 15:16

VERB CONJUGATIONS

O verbs are conjugated only for number. Therefore O is not pro-drop.

INFINITIVE

There are two groups of conjugations in O.

I groupII group
-isi -esi

The other tenses are formed by adding suffixes to the root of the verb.

PRESENT

I group
SingularPlural
-in -imi

II group
SingularPlural
-en -emi

PAST

I group
SingularPlural
-uni -vu

II group
SingularPlural
-eni -veu

FUTURE

I group
SingularPlural
-isinni -isinno

II group
SingularPlural
-esni -esno

Passive form

You need to add the prefix i- for the passive form.

Reflexive form

Add the prefix me-.

Continuous form (i.e: I'm playing)

Add the particle le.
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2015-03-20, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-25, 19:53

A bunch of other words:

lemi ['lɛmi] - peace
ttlissa ['θlis:a]- war
lïannir [li'an:ir]- life
rhumintu [ʀumintu] - death
cclesmunna [gles'mun:a] - illness
teluma [te'luma] - wisdom
tleuma ['tlɛuma] - knowledge
sliihtach ['sli:ðax] - hope
ttlivma ['θlivma] - happiness
rhehsmar ['ʀɛʃmar] - sadness
zlesnir ['t͜slɛsnir]- ignorance
eleswionti [eles'fjonti] - blissfulness
ttves·si [θvɛs:i]- health
werunntar [fer'un:tar] - zeal
usmintahh [us'mintaħ]- darkness
zramu ['t͜sramu]- light
hcasminnar [χas'min:ar]- cruelty
hsriimi ['ʃri:mi] - malice
ottmenni [ɔθ'mɛn:i]- courage
zelumihc [t͜se'lumiχ]- power
wremsar ['frɛmsar] - victory
swiontich ['sfjontix] - observation
ch·lemmihc ['xlɛm:iχ] - beginning
urunta [u'runta]- end
hloismi [ɬo'ismi] - middle
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2014-11-25, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-11-25, 19:58

Etymology? Or did you just pull them out of a magician's hat?

I like how they sound, especially "werruntar".

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-25, 20:06

Levike wrote:Or did you just pull them out of a magician's hat?

Not a magician's hat, just my immagination. I said it right from the start that O would've been mainly a priori. :)

Levike wrote:I like how they sound, especially "werruntar".

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-25, 21:00

I agree, O is very beautiful (I did say "Che bella"). Strangely, I imagine the /R/ to be better than in French :lol: . Do you plan to have dialects? They make a conlang with a conculture that much more fun, at least for me.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-25, 22:43

Koko wrote: Do you plan to have dialects? They make a conlang with a conculture that much more fun, at least for me.

Well, I have just started the standard language, I think it's a bit early to think about dialects :), but in any case no, I don't think I'll create dialects... I think they would drain too much energy.

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-26, 14:07

Some Conjunctions

wi ['fi]- and
hzomu ['ʂɔmu ] - or (exclusive disjunction)
laru ['laru] - or (inclusive disjunction)
nuri ['nuri] - but
uuvi ['u:vi]- however
sehcma ['sɛχma]- despite
ccelumi [ge'lumi]- nonetheless

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-11-26, 18:20

VERB "TO BE"

To be is an irregular verb.

infinitive: sen ['sɛn]
present: se ['se] for every person.

VERB "TO HAVE"

infinitive: livesi [li'vɛsi]
present: sing: liven ['liven] ; plur: livemi [li'vɛmi]
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2015-03-20, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-01-14, 7:32

Aww, have you given up on O? You haven't posted anything on your thread or PAM lately.

Return to “Conlangs”