[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Concultures - UniLang

Concultures

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Koko

Concultures

Postby Koko » 2014-11-24, 7:37

I am truly surprised this has not been before. Is nobody interested in other peoples concultures? *sigh* Guess I have to create this thread :roll: :P

Before you say you think there's a thread already for this, I already know about it. However, that thread calls specifically for myths and legends; not for the culture of your conlang's (or conlangs') speakers. If you do happen to talk about your myths, it is allowed only if relevant to the piece of conculture you are talking about. Let's say there's a holiday, but it's based around an event in a myth. You can briefly explain the myth for some background into the holiday. Or, if you are explaining something the speakers do and you need to incorporate some of the myth (should it be related to the thing) to explain, I don't see why it couldn't be here. But if you dedicate a whole post on one myth or legend, copy and paste in the link above :) We can't be mixing up two threads now can we :P :wink: ?

I don't currently have my notes for the Isyans' culture, but as soon as I do and am able to post stuff up, I will! n.n
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Iparxi_Zoi

Re: Concultures

Postby Iparxi_Zoi » 2014-11-26, 4:39

My main conculture (I have several, intertwining ones...) is ancient Zace. The ancient Zacian are a Mediterranean people like the Greeks. Classical Greece actually coincides with Classical Zace. They did things other western civilizations did at the time (build temples, write epic poetry, be ruled over by a king, etc.).

Other than that I really haven't delved into their culture. I've been too preoccupied with building a decent lexicon. I barely have enough to articulate simple sentences!! I do have the beginnings of a pantheon worked out.

Personally, I like my concultures to feel "real" so I place them here on Earth, in an alternate reality with more islands. :mrgreen:
Native/Mis lenguas maternas: español mexicano (Mexican Spanish) (es-MX) español (Spanish) (es) American English (en-US) English (en)
Advanced (I hope)/Espero que no se me olvide: français (French) (fr)
In love with/Me encantan: ελληνικά (Greek) (el) português (Portuguese) (pt)
Also intested in/También me interesarían: العربية (Arabic) (ar) italiano (Italian) (it) Türkçe (Turkish) (tr)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-26, 5:19

As promised, a little bit of Isyan culture. It'll be in Italian, so hopefully you are learning it, have learnt it, or can at least understand it via knowledge of another romance language or something. As I do in the Italian forum, I won't translate unless absolutely needed (though there it's because of horrible presentation: the following is the corrected version thanks to Ipse ^^ — my hashi of the Italian forum):

Il Siya isiano è un potente guerriero che ha conoscenza e saggezza uguale alla sua forza. Un Siya deve sempre avere una strategia e un modo di controbattere quella degli avversari. Da che si sa, solo i Siya sono stati capaci di sconfiggere altri Siya. I più potenti Siya sono addestrati a Isia — Isia Centrale per la precisione — mentre quelli più deboli si addestrano all'isola di Oleghi. Però, questi Siya d'isola sono tanto paurosi come i Siya di Irogna.

[i]L'
Edinan Prayuque è stata la più grande guerra e è stata famosa per tenersi in Prayuk, una regione fuori d'Isia verso sud, tra gli isiani e i prayuk. Il paese Prayuk voleva conquistare Isione Merdionale verso l'anno 1705 BC. Certo, Isia combatteva per se stesso e il suo paese, poi dopo quindici anni di battaglia rimase se stesso. Quando la guerra finì, Isia si estendeva nel Prauk del nord. Tutto il Prayuk vecchio del nord non era stato conquistato; solo ciò che era 50 chilometri a sud d'Isia. Alla fine Prayuk e Isia divennero alleati. Isia aiutava Prayuk ad estendersi in Qecir. Non c'erano mai guerre, perché i paesi avevano negoziato: Prayuk poteva prendere Uqec se avesse fornito zucchero, cacao e burro. I primi due venivano da Uqec. Il burro era una novità in Qecir.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Fox Saint-Just

Postby Fox Saint-Just » 2014-11-26, 8:30

The conculture for Xetlaqui is Xinchal ("The Hive"). Its dominant philosophy is called Pheyn Yeotl ("All is one") and places emphasis on completeness and wholeness as perfection. The inhabitants of the Hive, known as Xinchallidi, have a strong sense of community and see their own talents as knowledge on the basis of how they can help the community itself.

Here are some concepts I have worked on so far.

Guzanshaotl ("shame of treason"): The worst mark of shame, reserved for those guilty of treason against the community, especially in periods of war and/or crisis. Those who have this mark placed upon them are generally punished with death or a long imprisonment.
Vishyeoth ("the righteous path"): The belief that one should look at the past events and teachings to understand how things can work in the future. Often mistook for simple orthodoxy, it is instead a philosophy of constant progress, which however doesn't aim at changing what works well just for the sake of "the new".
Xaothaztla ("the glorious/joyous work"): Deeds done for the benefit of the community are seen as the highest honor for those who perform them. Workers find the joy not only in what they obtain through work, but also in the way they work.
Native:  (it)  (egl) B2:  (en) Intermediate:  (de)  (fr) Curious about:  (ru)  (hy)  (eu)  (nah)  (ga)  (sr)
 (art) Currently developing Ardlang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=40076.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-27, 7:01

The Isyans have many gods, but not so many that they are too many to recall. There are no more than fifty. Each has a responsibility, and each has a few more.

For example, Eo is the God of Wolves and Coyotes (mainly wolves, but since his marriage to Eon, he's taken some care of coyotes). However, both he and Eon (goddess of coyotes and wolves) are the gods who bless to-be-marrieds. They are the ones who also newly-weds look up to and follow the example of.

More on the gods and their roles should come later :)

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2014-11-27, 8:03

I have a conculture:
They are the Vrkhazhi (Vrkhazhi is the demonym, however I keep habitually saying just Vrkhazh) who are a desert culture who I would say are unique, though they do have elements of Ancient Egyptian.

The Vrkhazhi are a powerful race of warriors who hold values in intimacy and friendship as well as loyalty. They are reliable to their allies and brutal to their enemies.

An important aspect of Vrkhazhian culture is their views on death:
The Vrkhazh believe that when you die that you are in an eternal rest; oblivion that is.
At least that is as it should be. However, sometimes a person was greatly wronged in life or their corpse becomes disturbed, causing the spirit to become restless and aggressive.
Restless and evil spirits reside in a realm that is called by the Vrkhazh as "The Formless World" because of its formless and chaotic nature. Creatures known as the "Formless Beings" (not really formless, but their forms are often incomprehensible and fear-inducing) also reside in the Formless World. The most feared and well-known is the Formless Being known as Sillhav (who is considered the ruler and most powerful of them all) who guards the veil between the Formless World and the Formed World.

The Vrkhazh believe that scavenging birds such as ravens and crows (ravens and actual crows are often lumped together as being a kind of "crow") are guardians of the dead that ensure that the spirits are not restless.
The Vrkhazh believe that if a crow is not guarding a body (or a flock of crows, in the case of entire graveyards) then the body and raise up and become a Hollow Man (a Vrkhazhian equivalent to a zombie, "hollow" because it is without sentience).
Times of famine and disease are times where the risk of Hollow Men rising up are the highest.

Often family members will fashion a small statue of a crow to make the spirit of a deceased love one to attain peace by tricking it into believing it is guarded by a real one. Usually the statues are made of onyx (which is associated with strength and spiritual and mental power) with the eyes being studded with turquoise (which is associated with purity and cleanliness).

Embalming and painting the body is also important in allowing the deceased to attain peace. Organs cannot be removed from the body except for the intestines (which are removed by the embalmer and replaced with preservatives before returning it to the family). This important because the deceased cannot feel like they are not whole. This is the original sense of the meaning of a Hollow Man, who would be literally hollow (i.e. no internal organs, meaning the corpse was defiled).

There are times when the veil between the Formless World and the Formed World is at its thinnest. When the veil has become thin the Formless Beings are able to claw their way through to the Formed World to wreak havoc and cause suffering. Their prescence are often the causes of famines and plagues.

When Silhav, the Guardian of the Veil clawed his way to the Formed World, he had unleashed a nation-wide plague upon the people. Many tried to slay to him, but he could not be affected by most physical objects and so they were all slaughtered.
The only one known to have been able to successfully defeat Sillhav is the first emperor of Vrkhazh, Arash-Hijunu, who used his mighty tamurkh that was blessed to be able to kill Formless Beings and drove the polearm into both heads. The creature faded out of existence and was believed to have been slain.
A native of  (en-CA)
Conlang: Image
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

ShounenRonin

Postby ShounenRonin » 2014-11-27, 14:53

I have a conculture called Hecora. It was not based on any particular culture, but the language was originally inspired by Spanish

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-03, 7:53

The Isyans believe that all natural things contain a soul, and so the term "sogua" is used to classify things we would classify as inanimate. What is considered natural is arbitrary: a rock is a sogua, but a cave is a gueva (thing). Usually, if something can be held, it is to have a soul. So this explains why a cave isn't a sogua. But wind is, and it cannot be held. The Isyans do not distinguish between air and wind, and for a long time they have known how to "capture air."

However, for sake of being specific, in regular speech "gueva" is used more like our "thing" so as to specify they mean a person by "sogua."

Another innersting thing about their culture is how much they emphasize togetherness, peace, and good mood. It may be difficult to keep control at times, so when one happens to break it is the others' job to calm him down. They believe that anger is the work of evil, and should be avoided so as not to invite evil further. The Isyan people are a kind. Insulting is not something they joke with: when you insult someone, you are thereby cursing them. Unlike in our everyday life, insults are never used in banter. Now, this is a good thing. So why is it interesting? Because of how ruthlessly their Siyav are trained to fight. Words are not enough to tell the result of war against them. Even their weakest Siyav are stronger than a thousand armies. Battles they participate in do not last long: Edinan Prayuque may have taken fifteen years, but not all of those were swords. Its length is what makes it as famous as it is.

Much like in many real-world cultures, older citizens are given higher respect. It is crime to show any form of the opposite towards a sojinya (Isyan for grandparent/senior). Sojinyav always have a place in their families homes, usually the son's or daughter's. They do not just take for granted their ijesejo (uplifting), though. Them being Isyan, the sojinyav repay their children by helping take care of the house and grandchildren. Some sojinyav think it rude of them to ask that they live with their children who have better things to worry about than house another person, so they either buy their own place or they will sign up to live in the Sojinyav Avui Voron, which is a part of town dedicated to housing older sojinyav.

They're kind of stereotypical Canadians :whistle: … peace keeping; overly kind, apologetic and respectful. Only they take respect and kind far beyond anyone I know.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-25, 8:24

Christmas has started. What do the Isyans do? They celebrate the Creation of Man— Lasböterna.

Starting the two weeks of Lasböterna, the Isyans participate in community games for three days. Each night they have their laupenernav (food cooked with meat). Yva being a traditional favourite, this is usually the first course karnoyeta poured over. It consists of rice (or potatoes) with a chicken breast seasoned with ynsa (a spice similar to chili, but hotter, bittersweet, and much more brittle), garlic, black pepper, salt, and the cook's other preferred seasonings rested upon the bed of rice. A lettuce salad tossed with chopped carrots and grape tomatoes is a common side/appetizer. Other dishes might be pork stews, roastbeef and karnoyeta, goose stuffing with roasted goose, ham, and meals of the towns or cities not found elsewhere or regional dishes.

The rest of that first week is spent with family and friends. During this time, all shops are closed but for two hours a morning. The Isyans will usually play games, chat, etc. Many families take those four days to get out of their locale in order to visit old friends, family who live across the country. How this Impanyosa — as it's called — is entirely up to the family's decision.

The last week is similar to Christmas Day, but spread throughout the week. Isyans will give each other a gift or two a day. No expectations on the amount, they just care that you thought of them. No gift is expected in return either, but as it is tradition an attempt is usually made anyway. Should an Isyan not be able to return the favour, they might tell the others such and later give a present. Or invite the other for supper. No matter what, this holiday/festival is more to honour the gods and family and friends. It has never become as materialistic and commercial as Christmas has, and I hope it shall never go down that same route.

Merry Christmas! Bivar Lasböterna!

Fox Saint-Just

Postby Fox Saint-Just » 2014-12-25, 19:56

The Hive doesn't have a celebration like Christmas, but in winter they celebrate the nine days called Chaodegalek ("cold days"), which are traditionally considered the coldest days of the year, mythologically related to the legend of Ixalli and Tezahunid. The Xinchallidek eat rich foods like kuntzatl (a spiced meat soup) and yuhetzli (bread containing boiled eggs), and spend time with their families and friends. Few people decide to travel, mainly because of the snow.

Since the beginning of the year is celebrated with the arrival of spring, the New Year's Day is unrelated to the previous holiday and is called Tezyetzegalli (Day of Obsidian). Since obsidian is a rare material on the planet where the Hive is located, it is seen as a symbol of wealth and abundance. A bonfire is made to simulate the volcano and the generation of obsidian.
Native:  (it)  (egl) B2:  (en) Intermediate:  (de)  (fr) Curious about:  (ru)  (hy)  (eu)  (nah)  (ga)  (sr)
 (art) Currently developing Ardlang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=40076.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-31, 7:00

Just because I love them, orcas are the symbol of the Ferod. They are to be honored and respected. Much like the wolves and coyotes in Isyan culture, the Ferods base many of their customs around them.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-01-27, 6:24

Nyassirmo oresa kio, thil?
Food counts as culture, right? (I say so)

I've made three recipes of three traditional foods. One is a Hesian dish (for some reason I really love this peninsula). I'm really happy with them. I'll share them once I've tried them myself.

Ashucky
Global Moderator

Postby Ashucky » 2015-01-27, 12:22

Koko wrote:Nyassirmo oresa kio, thil?

I've made three recipes of three traditional foods. One is a Hesian dish (for some reason I really love this peninsula). I'm really happy with them. I'll share them once I've tried them myself.
Awesome, and I want pictures, too! :D
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-01-28, 4:56

Ashucky wrote:
Koko wrote:Nyassirmo oresa kio, thil?

Awesome, and I want pictures, too! :D

Sure! I've got a fourth made (a traditional sauce called Karnoyeta) and a fifth is on the way; yet another Hesian thing called Syedaï— Traditional Hesian Desert Sauce. If the carrots and the yva/morotsa turn out nicely I'll post pictures of them with and without the Karnoyeta on top ;) . Maybe one day I'll make pancakes and post of picture of them with the Syedaï.

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-01-28, 18:21

Wow, you guys have actually made concultural food? I'm falling behind...

I've written a bit about Halvian cuisine and how it's full of lemon juice and olives, but never made anything. It'd be interesting to try...
Primary Conlang: Halvian
Additional conlangs: Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the other two).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-17, 2:45

So I've yet to make even an attempt to cook anything, but an idea came to me when I got out of the shower: Isyan painters use their own hair!

This gives the paintings an interesting texture (I don't know how: maybe it looks the same. I assume it has a different texture). The male artists are few, as their hair doesn't grow so long as a female's would. For every 11 female painters, there are two male.

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-03-19, 16:11

^That's pretty interesting. You going to try and make such a painting? ;) I wonder how that'd turn out.

The Halvians had a concept of finger-painting that went beyond the age of 5 lol, but you'd really have to scrub your hands after using pigments made from crushed insects and mollusk mucus... :x
Primary Conlang: Halvian
Additional conlangs: Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the other two).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-19, 18:17

I don't paint :mrgreen: . Maybe somebody here is willing to do so?

Haha! The Isyans would have a wonderful time washing out the paint. I don't even know what their paint is made of :hmm: . Perhaps the slyota tuspey would make a good component: it's got a beautiful colour, grows in bulk (up to 300 berries per bush and the bushes are fast producers), blends well with many other organic materials. Plus, depending on what else goes in the paint, you could eat what's left, as the berry has a very long life.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-19, 19:11

Back to food, what are some that are used a lot?

Fennel (I've grown to love this ^^ ) and potatoes are used in a lot of Isyan recipes. Slyotav Tuspey are of a big use in Veros (northernmost region) cuisine, as they grow there. Rice is common as well as tomatoes. A favourite spice is ynsa, a brittle leaf similar to chili, but hotter and sort of salty.

Return to “Conlangs”