[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
Static and Dynamic Verbs - UniLang

Static and Dynamic Verbs

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

ltrout

Static and Dynamic Verbs

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-16, 1:59

Should I have a way to determine if the verb is Static or Dynamic? Right now I have it to where all verbs are Dynamic. So it would be okay to say --I'm having a brother-- or --I'm liking cake, but I'm preferring ice cream--.
Known/Learning: (es) (us)
Wanting to Learn( help me with it?): (ru) (fr) (de)

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Static and Dynamic Verbs

Postby hashi » 2015-02-16, 11:23

Do you by chance mean Stative verb? In which case, I would only bother marking it if there is a need to distinguish between a dynamic and stative verb meaning parallel things. As most of the examples I can find on these types of verbs don't really seem to have an overlap, I don't think it's entirely necessary. Then again, it's your sink to do with as you will :)

I'm also not sure that such a small question warrants its own thread, perhaps try the general discussion thread. Then again, #notmoderatorofthisboard

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-17, 22:16

hashi wrote:Do you by chance mean Stative verb? In which case, I would only bother marking it if there is a need to distinguish between a dynamic and stative verb meaning parallel things. As most of the examples I can find on these types of verbs don't really seem to have an overlap, I don't think it's entirely necessary. Then again, it's your sink to do with as you will :)

I'm also not sure that such a small question warrants its own thread, perhaps try the general discussion thread. Then again, #notmoderatorofthisboard

Yes I mean stative. And I can't really tell what the difference is between Stative and Dynamic verbs? I don't really understand them..
Known/Learning: (es) (us)
Wanting to Learn( help me with it?): (ru) (fr) (de)

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Postby hashi » 2015-02-18, 0:57

From what I've read on Wikipedia, it appears that a dynamic verb is one that shows an actual action, while a stative verb shows a state of being. I don't really think English has many stative verbs, we mostly construct these sorts of things using to be <adjective>.

Other languages do have them though. Japanese for example has some verbs that are stative (although they're not marked any differently to dynamic verbs) such as 'okoru' which means 'to be angry', 'yaseru' which means 'to be thin/narrow or to be infertile/barren', or 'komaru' which means 'to be worried/stuck (amongst a heap of other things)'.

To contrast this, a dynamic verb would be something like 'run', 'catch', 'swim', 'think', etc.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-18, 4:14

hashi wrote:Other languages do have them though. Japanese for example has some verbs that are stative (although they're not marked any differently to dynamic verbs)
They are in Korean, although only in certain tense/speech level combinations. E.g.:

다 /ka.nun.ta/ "goes"
같다 /kath.ta/ "is the same"
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Conlangs”