[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Why did you start creating conlangs? - UniLang

Why did you start creating conlangs?

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

ltrout

Why did you start creating conlangs?

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-21, 15:52

Basically I would like to know why you started creating conlangs and when. For me, I started when I was about 13 and everyday in English Class, I would get annoyed by all of the irregularities and non sense of English and wanted to create my own language that was easy to understand and learn. But, my "conlangs" back then weren't all that much different than English! :oops:
Now I want to know about you! When and why did you start creating conlangs?
Known/Learning: (es) (us)
Wanting to Learn( help me with it?): (ru) (fr) (de)

Levike

Re: Why did you start creating conlangs?

Postby Levike » 2015-02-21, 17:45

I wanted to have a language that I'd totally like.

In the sense that whilst I was looking at some foreign languages,
each of them had one or two features that I really liked.

So I just decided to take all of those and put them into something that I would think of as 'perfect'.

I only had one language right from the beginning and that is Ditronian.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-02-21, 18:21

Similar reasons to you. I wanted to create a "perfect" language that had as few irregularities as possible and that's sort of what I've been trying to do with Halvian. It avoids syncretism at all costs, it has "perfect pronunciation", in that each letter has one sound and one sound only and there are no homophones, etc.

But I was also inspired when I started studying Latin around age 14. I knew then that I wanted to create a highly inflectional language like Latin. I was just very interested in any languages that weren't English and I loved the idea of creating something that other people could speak. My first attempts at conlangs were more-or-less rip-offs of Latin and in some ways, Halvian does borrow a lot from Latin (grammar-wise), but after getting a degree in linguistics in college, my conlanging attempts have gotten a bit better ;)
Primary Conlang: Halvian
Additional conlangs: Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the other two).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-21, 18:43

Is 13-14 the age when born conlangers begin to conlang? 'Cause when I was 13 I just randomly began Banio, my first conlang. It had a romanization I still find beautiful as well as an aesthetically pleasing conscript. It had gone through various changes before Bhéki.

Anyway, I don't think there's any one reason. I wasn't really inspired to begin or anything. Initially I was just bored and when I was writing a story in a fictional place, I thought "Its own language would be fun." So… yeah. That's basically how. But then last year I got better at it because I started studying languages and so I brought what I knew of natlangs into a new conlang which was by far the best yet (now Isyan is). So I have two beginnings ^^ .
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-21, 19:10

Koko wrote:Is 13-14 the age when born conlangers begin to conlang? 'Cause when I was 13 I just randomly began Banio, my first conlang. It had a romanization I still find beautiful as well as an aesthetically pleasing conscript. It had gone through various changes before Bhéki.

Anyway, I don't think there's any one reason. I wasn't really inspired to begin or anything. Initially I was just bored and when I was writing a story in a fictional place, I thought "Its own language would be fun." So… yeah. That's basically how. But then last year I got better at it because I started studying languages and so I brought what I knew of natlangs into a new conlang which was by far the best yet (now Isyan is). So I have two beginnings ^^ .

I see that the majority of you only have like 1-3 languages?! I've started like 20 of them.. Non of them are even near enough done to have a conversation in. Well, except Dialectõ, but I haven't worked on it in forever. Most of my conlangs I start, get a little bit into it, then I discover new cases or other grammatical features that I would like to put in my conlang, and instead of adding them into there, I just create a brand new conlang.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-21, 19:26

ltrout wrote:I see that the majority of you only have like 1-3 languages?!

Tbh I have started well over 20, 30 even. None of them but those I do mention are worth mentioning.

Well, except Dialectõ, but I haven't worked on it in forever. Most of my conlangs I start, get a little bit into it, then I discover new cases or other grammatical features that I would like to put in my conlang, and instead of adding them into there, I just create a brand new conlang.

Lol, I think that's sort of like me, but rather than discovering, I think about and experiment with new cases. Maybe to help keep to one language you just ignore new cases? I mean, while there's languages with an excessively large case system like the Finnic and Dravidian languages, adpositions work just as well and you could even combine them with cases (I mean you fuse a case ending with an adposition), which the languages with large case systems generally do in some way.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-02-21, 19:52

I sort of decided that I had to buckle down and just put more effort into one conlang so I could develop one enough to have a conversation in and translate a paragraph of English prose. Even though I've only started about 5 conlangs, I've been tempted to create many more...but they would just end up being distractions.

Also, anyone else inspired by Tolkien? Though I discovered Tolkien's conlanging after I initially started creating my first conlang attempts, after reading about him and Quenya and everything, it was a big inspiration.
Additional conlangs: Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the other two).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-21, 20:00

Not really. My conscript for Isyan is kind of based on Tengwar, but that was extremely unintentional. That's as bout as much inspiration I've gotten. I am mostly ibeliefs by natlangs as I want Isyan to be realistic (but I still add improbable things such a voiced bilabial-voiced labiodental plosive contrast[*]). In general, I'm not a person who is inspired. I don't even have a role model :lol: , let alone a role language.

ltrout

Postby ltrout » 2015-02-21, 20:02

Mentilliath wrote:I sort of decided that I had to buckle down and just put more effort into one conlang so I could develop one enough to have a conversation in and translate a paragraph of English prose. Even though I've only started about 5 conlangs, I've been tempted to create many more...but they would just end up being distractions.

Also, anyone else inspired by Tolkien? Though I discovered Tolkien's conlanging after I initially started creating my first conlang attempts, after reading about him and Quenya and everything, it was a big inspiration.

I was inspired a little bit by Tolkien, but the majority of my conlangs are always based off of Indo-European languages. Right now I am working on a extremely modern and extremely ancient languages based off the Romance Languages and Russian.

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-02-21, 20:18

I guess the way Tolkien inspired me is that Halvian is a language of a kingdom in a fantasy world (my interest in maps and geography also inspired this. I created a map of my fantasy world and its kingdoms long before I created the Halvian language).

But yes, most of mine are inspired by IE as well. Right now I'm trying to create a language with a syllabary, using the Mycenaean Greek Linear B syllabary. I'll probably post a thread about it within the next month :p

Return to “Conlangs”