[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The English and Romance Bridge: Help Me with Riquenian! - UniLang

The English and Romance Bridge: Help Me with Riquenian!

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Riquenian1

The English and Romance Bridge: Help Me with Riquenian!

Postby Riquenian1 » 2015-03-09, 0:38

Hello.

I've created the Riquenian Language and it is about 75% complete (the structure, that is). It's a pretty easy language to learn and, I believe, effectively blends qualities of Romance languages and the English language. At the same time, it has a lot of qualities that relate to Native languages and other European and Asian languages.

I myself have studied Ancient Greek and Classical Latin thoroughly and continue to study Spanish. To me, this works...but it could always be better!

And now, here's some Celine Dion.

Pruoe, afoe, loquoe ta se
Me chero je corde coteyofo
Oin, plu, ta simo je jane
Ey ta se qolu en je corde
Ey mea coteyofo ayle

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Mentilliath

Re: The English and Romance Bridge: Help Me with Riquenian!

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-03-10, 4:22

If that's a sample of it, "coteyofo" sounds like a very cool word--reminds me of Umbrian or Oscan or something.

Can you post some more information about it? Share some of the structure? Describe its properties briefly?
Primary Conlang: Halvian
Additional conlangs: Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the other two).

Riquenian1

Postby Riquenian1 » 2015-03-12, 2:16

I do a quick look into verbs. Before, though, know that the “oe” combo is rushed, and thus is pronounced as “way.” Also, the “oa” combo is pronounced as “wah.”

*All infinitives end in –or.

*As a verb example, I’ll use Peqor (pronounced pay-cor), which means “to bank.”
Verbs are conjugated according to tense (present, etc.) and usage (imperative, gerunds, etc.), none of whose conjugations changes according to number or gender (as gender does not exist).

Present = Peqo (bank)
Imperfect = Peqobo (was banking)
Future = Peqofo (will bank)
Perfect = Peqopo (have banked)
Pluperfect = Peqoao (had banked)
Future Perfect = Peqoeo (will have banked)

Imperative = Peqí! (Bank!)

*In addition to this, from the infinitive, we can easily create a variety other forms of the word bank. All nouns will end in a, e, l, or y in the singular and z in the plural.

Peqor → Drop the r, and add an a → Peqoa = Banker (pron. pay-qwah)
Peqor → Drop the or, and add an a → Peqa = Bank (pron. pay-cah)

*And why not adjectives? All adjectives end in –ea.

Goea = Cute (pronounced gway-ah)

*Drop the a from an adjective, and the meaning changes as it becomes a noun (substantive).

Goe = Cute one (pronounced gway)
Goez = Cute ones (pronounced gways)

Riquenian1

Postby Riquenian1 » 2015-03-12, 2:40

NO EXTENSIVE AND EVERCHANGING DECLENSIONS! (NO HEADACHE!) :shock:

NO COMPLEX CONJUGATIONS DICTATED BY PERSON AND NUMBER! (NO HEARTACHE!) :P

NO ENDLESS SUPPLIES OF IRREGULARS! :ohwell: (NO LATE NIGHT FAINTING!) :roll:

STATIC ENDINGS WITH A LIVELY AND FUN VARIETY OF SOUNDS CONTRIBUTING TO A LARGE VOCABULARY AND EASY COMPREHENSION! (NO EXTRA LONG BATHROOM BREAKS DURING CLASS!) :silly:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-12, 3:58

I'm finding cognates difficult to see :hmm: .

I can see from where come the pronouns, corde, ey, mea and se (the preposition en too); but many other words seem completely unique to me :lol: . On what languages do you base Riquenian?
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Riquenian1

Postby Riquenian1 » 2015-03-12, 11:36

I did not want the language to be absolutely derived from other languages, but still have interesting references and some direct cognates to help me where necessary.

Take these verbs for example:

Gul --> Means "ghost," from the Arabic "gul" meaning the same
Peqor --> Means" to bank," from the Latin "pecunia" meaning money
Loqu --> Means "where," from the Latin "Locus" meaning place
Cror --> Means "to time," from the Ancient Greek "Kronos" meaning the same
Oafe --> References an extraordinary weapon, from the German "waffe" referencing the same
Abal --> Means "father," from the Semitic "aba" meaning the same
Jane --> Means "door," from the Latin "ianus" meaning the same
Piyefoa --> Literally means a "faker best one," actually referring to a fake best friend.
Jima --> Means "snow," from the firs half of the word Himalaya. From Urdu/Sanskrit "hima," meanng snow

Although the language is so diverse in terms of derivatives and cognates, it adds a little bit more identity I think -- makes it more of a language than a dialect

Riquenian1

Postby Riquenian1 » 2015-03-12, 11:45

Also, I wanted to borrow different aspects of languages also instead of only vocabulary.

Like French sounds found in words like je, jane, foa (pron. Fwah).

Like Arabic sounds found in words ending in l. (Gul , abal)

Like Portuguese sounds found in words like Zaor (zah-or), to sprint.

The foundation of Latin and English, stripped of the complexities time has added to them. The vocabulary structure of Japanese (general VCVCV pattern), and so on. I believe that those are the things that make languages especially unique.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-12, 13:05

Like French sounds found in words like je, jane, foa (pron. Fwah).

Do you mean foi?

Like Portuguese sounds found in words like Zaor (zah-or), to sprint.

Zaor is a Portuguese word? And even if it was, I don't see anything particularly Portuguese in the sounds of zah-or. I mean, they're all sounds that can be found in a lot of other languages too (English included). :hmm:

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-03-12, 13:20

Riquenian1 wrote:Pruoe, afoe, loquoe ta se
Me chero je corde coteyofo
Oin, plu, ta simo je jane
Ey ta se qolu en je corde
Ey mea coteyofo ayle
Reading that, it sounds to me as if a Romance language got mixed with something African.

The only things that I don't like about it is that it seems to be full of vowels.
Plus I never liked the letter "q" unless it's followed by a "u".
But this is only a matter of taste.

Either way I appreciate that it cannot be understood like other Romlangs,
which tend to be more or less just copy-pasted versions of some real ones.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Riquenian1

Postby Riquenian1 » 2015-03-12, 13:43

With Zaor, I was referring to Portuguese's ão sounds.

Also, I totally understand the vowel thing. There is a handful of words with consonants, but usually no more than three consecutive. They make pronunciation even more complex, and take away from the "Romance" part moreso.

Return to “Conlangs”