[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
Slovak help: aj, i, tiez - UniLang

Slovak help: aj, i, tiez

Moderator: Riks

chung

Slovak help: aj, i, tiez

Postby chung » 2009-03-28, 3:29

Hello,

Could someone please explain the difference between aj, i and tiež? I am having a difficult time understanding the subtle differences between them. :(

With my limited grasp of Slovak grammar I gather that we use them as follows:

1) Use "aj" or "i" when referring to an additional object or trait. The conjunction normally precedes the object or trait that is meant to carry a sense of "additionality".

Chcem kupiť aj knihy.
Je aj skvelý nápad.

2) Use "tiež" when referring to an additional action and it normally stands in front of the verb whose presence is implied to coexist with a simultaneous action that may or may not be obvious.

Tiež chcem kupiť knihy.
Ja tiež som hotový.

However when I need to translate "also" or "too" into Slovak, I get very confused and my understanding often does not help in arriving at the "correct" translation in Slovak.

For example:
"Here there is also a house, church and shop."
Tu je aj dom, kostol a obchod (?) / Je tu aj dom, kostol a obchod (?)

"The apartment is also clean and big."
Byt tiež je čistý a veĺký. (?) / Byt je aj čistý a veĺký. (?)

"I want to help you too."
Ja tiež chcem ti pomôct. (?) / Aj ja ti chcem pomôct. (?)

I appreciate feedback from the native Slovaks out there because I can't find any clear answer or reasoning on how to use these conjunctions in my Slovak books. It could also be helpful if anyone could provide other examples illustrating the subtleties since I can be a little bit slow at understanding things. :roll:

Vopred ďakujem :)
Chung

Riks
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Slovak help: aj, i, tiez

Postby Riks » 2009-03-28, 19:43

Hello. So at first some corrections :)
chung wrote:Je aj skvelý nápad.
The sentence sounds weird, better said: Aj to je skvelý nápad. / I to je skvelý nápad.
chung wrote:Ja tiež som hotový.
1/ Tiež som hotový.
2/ Ja som tiež hotový.

Now some comparisons, so maybe you could gain some feeling, how does it work.

chung wrote:"Here there is also a house, church and shop."
Tu je aj dom, kostol a obchod (?) / Je tu aj dom, kostol a obchod (?)
Tu je tiež dom, kostol a obchod. / Tiež je tu dom, kostol a obchod.
The sentence with "AJ": Imagine, you are at some place, where you see some objects. That "aj" gives an impression, you see some buildings, and (inter alia) also a house, church and shop.
The sentence with "TIEŽ": Imagine, you are at some place, where you see a house, church and a shop. "Tiež" gives an impression, that you see another house, church and shop for example 10m further.

chung wrote:Byt je tiež je čistý a veĺký veľký. (?) / Byt je aj čistý a veĺký veľký. (?)
The sentence with "AJ" gives an impression, that besides other many properties /the flat has green walls, is at 4th floor.../ is also clean and big.

chung wrote:Ja ti tiež chcem ti pomôct pomôcť. (?) / Aj ja ti chcem pomôct pomôcť. (?)
Fluent: Slovak, Czech, English
Intermediate: German, Romanian
Basics: Hungarian, French, Swedish

riks@jabbim.sk

chung

Postby chung » 2009-04-11, 21:32

Dakujem za pomoc. Musim este na tych prikladoch premyslat, aby tym konzeptom uplne rozumiet.

Riks
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Riks » 2009-04-13, 19:59

I hope you won't get angry when I correct your mistakes. :)

chung wrote:Dakujem za pomoc. Musim este na tych prikladoch premyslat, aby tym konzeptom uplne rozumiet.

Ďakujem za pomoc. Musím nad tými príkladmi ešte popremýšľať, aby som tým konceptom úplne (po)rozumela.
Fluent: Slovak, Czech, English
Intermediate: German, Romanian
Basics: Hungarian, French, Swedish

riks@jabbim.sk

chung

Postby chung » 2009-04-14, 4:25

Vobec nie. Dik

Return to “Slovak (Slovenský)”