[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Levi's Questions - Page 4 - UniLang

Levi's Questions

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

Levike

Re: Levike's Questions

Postby Levike » 2014-04-24, 22:47

Thanks.

When did Superman get Polish citizenship. :lol:
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-25, 0:51

Levike wrote:Thanks.

When did Superman get Polish citizenship. :lol:

Wait, are you asking a question or are you trying to say "Superman did get Polish citizenship."?
If it's the former, the answer is that he's Superman! He can fly over the border and nothing they do will have an effect on him unless they can manage to bond Krypton. :)
Well, that was a thing.
speak:  (en) (eo)
learning:  (fr) (de) (ru) (pt) (es) (ro) (art-jbo)
hiatus:  (fi) (it) (la) (wa) (sv) (eu) (zh.Hans) (is)
want to learn:  (fo) (be) (ko) (he) (sw) (hi) (tr) (nl) (cy) (hu)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-04-25, 1:23

Ooow, forgot the question mark again.

No problemo, I'll just buy some kryptonite from the Russians.

I'm so waiting for 4th of May, that's when I'll find out which country I'll be going to.
No turning back now.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-04-27, 11:23

Is the sentence "I one don't even want to taste that" correct.

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-04-27, 12:23

Levike wrote:Is the sentence "I one don't even want to taste that" correct.

No. Perhaps you meant "I for one don't even want to taste that"?
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-27, 13:05

Ciarán12 wrote:

Punctuation!
"I, for one, don't even want to taste that."
Well, that was a thing.

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-04-27, 14:03

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:
Ciarán12 wrote:

Punctuation!
"I, for one, don't even want to taste that."

I have a somewhat idiosyncratic use of punctuation, I prefer to have the punctuation reflect the prosody of the sentence. I am fully aware that segments such as "for one" in that sentence would normally be flanked by commas, but whenever I read it with commas I insert a pause which I don't have in the spoken version and it annoys me no end.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-04-27, 14:17

Thanks.

I know this isn't the Spanish subforum, but how would you say the same sentence in Spanish?

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-04-27, 14:30

Levike wrote:Thanks.

I know this isn't the Spanish subforum, but how would you say the same sentence in Spanish?

My Spanish isn't great, but I'd say something like " Yo por mi parte, ni siquiera quiero probar esto"

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-04-27, 14:37

Hmmm, maybe.

I once translated this sentence literally from Romanian.
It came as "Yo uno" from "Eu unul", so you can easily guess the result. :oops:

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-04-27, 14:51

I have a Collins dictionary app that's very reliable on my iPod, I just found the example sentence "I for one am not going - Yo, por mi parte, no voy". To be clear, the meaning in English is "I, at least" or "The following may not be true for anyone else, but at east one person thinks so and that is me"

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-04-27, 14:55

Thanks you. :partyhat:

That was exactly what I was looking for.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-04-27, 20:32

Levike wrote:Thanks you. :partyhat:

That was exactly what I was looking for.

If you want to say "thanks," you just say "thanks."
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-04-29, 15:51

(pl) I"M GOING TO WARSAW!  (pl)

And I'm gong to be paid for it, mouhaha.

And I'm going to learn in ENGLISH, so that is going to be ... interesting.

They also offer intensive Polish courses for which my response was: Yeah right.

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-29, 22:42

Levike wrote:They also offer intensive Polish courses for which my response was: Yeah right.
Which is probably why they do the English course. :silly:
Well, that was a thing.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-16, 10:53

How should I use the preposition "to" after the verb "to listen"?

Should I always put it after it?

In high-school in English classes, this was a very interesting problem,
we all said "to hear" instead of "to listen".
Oh dear German ...

Another thing: Could I say "It's equal for me" instead of "I don't care".

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-05-16, 11:39

Levike wrote:How should I use the preposition "to" after the verb "to listen"?

Should I always put it after it?

In high-school in English classes, this was a very interesting problem,
we all said "to hear" instead of "to listen".
Oh dear German ...

"To listen" withou the "to" following it is intransitive, so for example "I listened intently as the professor spoke".
When you want to give it an object you need "to", e.g. "I listened to the professor", "I love to listen to music" etc.

"To hear" doesn't imply any specific intention on your part, you can hear something without trying. "To listen" implies that you actively trying to hear something.

Levike wrote:Another thing: Could I say "It's equal for me" instead of "I don't care".

No.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-16, 12:16

But isn't there something with "equal"?

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2014-05-16, 12:21

Levike wrote:But isn't there something with "equal"?

Maybe you're thinking of the German "es ist mir egal"?

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-05-16, 12:28

Halfdan wrote:Maybe you're thinking of the German "es ist mir egal"?

Yes, and in Romanian we also say "mi-e egal", so I was supposing many languages have this.

So I should take it as a no ...

Return to “English”