[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Past continuous - UniLang

Past continuous

Moderator: Riks

kwalijkje

Past continuous

Postby kwalijkje » 2011-06-14, 19:42

None of my study books have ever said as much, so this is just conjecture, but, do you use the perfective form of verbs in the past tense to form a past continuous in Slovak?

I.e. Napísal som to, kedy niečo užasné sa stalo = I was writing this when something amazing happened.
opposed to: Písal som to, kedy som zabudnol všetko = I wrote this when I forgot everything.

Mutusen

Re: Past continuous

Postby Mutusen » 2011-06-15, 8:14

I'm not an expert, but it makes more sense to me to use the imperfective to translate the past continuous.
Koľko jazykov vieš, toľkokrát si človekom.
French slang blog

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2011-06-15, 9:31

I'm not an expert on Slovak too, but I'm 100% sure it's the imperfective aspect too.
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

"I love tautologies, they're so ... tautological." Hunef

kwalijkje

Postby kwalijkje » 2011-06-15, 10:41

Really? Actually, I guess that makes perfect sense, imperfective being an incomplete action.

kwalijkje

Postby kwalijkje » 2011-06-15, 10:42

Just found this on wikipedia:

Non-continuous time is indicated with a perfective verb and the continuous version with an imperfective verb which is formed on the perfective stem. These are considered separate lexemes. Example: :to hide = skryť, to be hiding = skrývať
Historically, there were two past tenses. Both are formed analytically. One of these is not used in the modern language, being considered dated and/or grammatically incorrect. Examples for two related verbs:
skryť (to hide) : skryl som (I hid / I have hidden); bol som skryl (I had hidden)
skrývať (to be hiding): skrýval som (I was hiding); bol som skrýval (I had been hiding)

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2011-06-21, 23:26

kwalijkje wrote:I.e. Napísal som to, kedy niečo užasné sa stalo = I was writing this when something amazing happened.
opposed to: Písal som to, kedy som zabudnol všetko = I wrote this when I forgot everything.

I don't think I'm quite able to explain this gramatically, but the correct version is:

Písal som to keď sa (zrazu) niečo úžasné stalo.

and

Napísal som toto keď som všetko zabudol. although a more natural version would be

Toto som napísal keď som všetko zabudol.

I'd say we always use the imperfective form for the continuous.
[flag]sk[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]en[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]nl[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

Return to “Slovak (Slovenský)”